iPad When to sell the iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eldervovichka, Sep 27, 2013.

1. eldervovichka macrumors regular

Good Morning All,

I have an AT&T iPad 3 64 gig. It has some denting because my kids dropped after I got it. I still have AppleCare+ on it. I need to take it in and pay the $50 to get a new one with no dents (it has been in a case ever since).

When should I sell it?

I would like the new Mini if it has a Retina screen, but will go with the iPad 5 if the mini does not. I have never sold any of my old Apple tech, I just handed them down in the past.

Those who have experience selling please share with me. Right now Game Stop will buy back for Store credit for $352, so I am looking at that option.

I would love to hear your advise.

Jeff

2. lars666 macrumors 6502a

If you are planing to buy the new iPad, this is the perfect time to sell your old one. 100% perfect for getting the iPad 5, about 80% perfect for the iPad mini – the second one is not THAT sure to be released next month along with the full size iPad. At least, this is my evaluation of the situation. It's still a rumor, but I would bet my money savings on the iPad release in October. If you want to maximize your resell value for your iPad, you should probably sell it within the next two weeks.

Selling through eBay and Craigslist almost always gets you more money than buy back programs. Just be careful who do you sell it (especially on Craigslist) and everything will be fine.

3. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

The perfect time to have sold your iPad 3 was about a year ago, unfortunately :p

4. eldervovichka thread starter macrumors regular

I did not complete a search on this topic and I see other threads. I am sorry.

Moderators you can merge or close this thread.

Thanks!

5. eldervovichka thread starter macrumors regular

Just an update

Thank you all for the advise!!!

I decided to go to Game Stop where they offered my $352 in store credit or $280 in cash. I decided to go with the in store credit. Then if I bought any used game they would give me 30% more in store credit. I ended up with 458 in store credit. I bought 1 used game and one new game and got $350 in Amazon gift cards (which the games and gift cards are being used for the kids Christmas).

I think I did a great job! I feel great about the deal and I did not have go on CL or eBay.

I hope that you find a great deal as well. Have a great day!

Jeff

6. Kendo macrumors 68000

Awesome! I might go that route.

7. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

Whatever, you do, DON'T do Gamestop Store credit. they devalue your item AND you are forced to buy there.

8. eldervovichka thread starter macrumors regular

I knew that and bought Amazon gift cards.... if you don't need the cash and you want to buy gift cards they have plenty of them.

Jeff

9. The Flying Kite macrumors regular

How exactly do they devalue your item? I just got $327 in GameStop store credit from my 32 GB iPad 2. It was originally $252 store credit, but I got the extra 30% by using it towards an Xbox One. For reference, I would've been lucky to get $270 (before fees) on eBay or $205 on Gazelle. Even if I hadn't gotten the extra 30%, I still would've gotten more than my other options, and I still used it right away on the Xbox One, so I wasn't stuck with the credit.