When to sell UK O2 iPhone to upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joe8232, Jun 10, 2008.

1. joe8232 macrumors regular

I am definitely interested in upgrading my current O2 iphone to the new 3g one on July 11th. The only thing I am unsure on is when to sell my current one - ie. will O2 require the current one in order to get the upgrade? I assume the sooner I can sell it on eBay the better as the price will drop significantly.

I guess what I am asking is should I unlock it and sell it now or wait till July 11th for fear that O2 will require it as proof or something that I am a current iPhone user.

2. Mr Ikasu macrumors member

I am almost positive that you will not need your iPhone come July 11th. There is no mention on the O2 site and it says something to the effect of "you can give your old one to your friends"

I sold mine yesterday but if I hadn't I would just hand onto it until after July 11th. I don't think the price will drop too much as it will still be the cheapest unlockable iPhone around. It depends on how much the PAYG version is I suppose but I would imagine you could still get £200 in a months time.

And most importantly if you wait you will have the iPhone for the next month as opposed to me having to struggle on a Sony Ericsson again.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Call o2 and ask?

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

No need to fear… ;)

From O2's website:
    Which I interpret to mean you can do with your existing iPhone whatever you want…

5. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The old one will make a great guest phone and travel phone (as there will be little reason not to unlock it).

6. joe8232 thread starter macrumors regular

That is how I interpreted it as well. I think I may hold off selling it till nearer July 11th just to make sure. Does everyone think they will still be worth at least £150 at that point?

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

That would all depend on how much new iPhones will be going for when sold "un-subsidised"… and I think there will still be a healthy International market.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

^ Plus there always seem to be (astoundingly) the idiots on eBay that for reasons unknown pay over the odds. They're there to be taken advantage of!

9. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

My guess is all you have to do is give them your current number, maybe address, and they can verify your an O2 iPhone customer, then they just handover the new handset!

Shouldn't be hard to do.

10. Antj29 macrumors member

Thank god for those idiots, they keep me in pocket....lol

I too am undecided, being a 35 pound a month contract user i feel a bit agrieved about having to pay the same as a new user and extend my contract, I am tempted to sell my brand new 8gb one now, as just had an insurance replacement, and then get the 16gb 3g one, or may just sell to my brother my old one as he is mid contract and then i can have the new one, think 150 is a fair price for a brand new ipod. all depends like others say on what the Pay as you go price will be. however i still think thats going to come in atnearer 400 on pay as you go.

11. markym07931 macrumors regular

you are not EXTENDING your contract, you are having your old one DELETED, and starting a BRAND NEW one...