Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2004
I am an American living in central China, where I have been for the past 6 years. I am planning to leave my job in December and return to the states. How do I find a job in the U.S. from China? Do I need to simply wait until I am back in the U.S. or can I somehow apply now? Is it too early to start looking?

I am basically fluent reading & speaking Mandarin Chinese, and have about 9 months to complete my B.S. degree in Business (online). Am I hireable without that degree since I am so close to finishing... and will my 6 years of China experience bode well for me?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
What are you looking to do when you get back to the US? If you're interested in something where your language/cultural experience with the Chinese would be worth something, it's definitely a plus. Other than that, it's tough to say whether you're "hireable" without knowing more about you and your goals.

It's never to early start looking for a job...even if it's just poking your nose around to make some contacts and start feeling out possible openings. You will probably have to wait until you get to the US to go through the interview processes, so there will likely be a gap between your arrival and getting a job no matter what.

drewel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2004
I would like to get into banking or investment firms, either as a financial analyst, maybe CPA...

I'm open to using Mandarin to some degree, but I don't desire it to be my primary role. I was thinking that it would raise my worth having another language, but I'm not sure if it would or not... especially if companies aren't necessarily looking for it specifically. Along those lines though, I'm not sure how to "sell" myself and get my resume into the right hands.

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
I think you'll have a tough time finding a 'business' type of job, especially in finance, without your degree yet. You could be looking for internships which will really help get your foot in the door for full time employment after you get your degree. And as you said, a company won't pay you more just because you can speak Chinese unless they need someone like that.

If you are looking at investments/banking, I think Chinese would be a great language to know. Especially if you are at all interested in international banking.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Your language skills in Chinese will help you in business, but more like the HR side of business, or some other area where you don't seem to care about. I guess it wouldn't hurt, but I'm not sure if it would make you a more interesting candidate. What's more likely to make you a more interesting candidate for a job position is your experiences and viewpoint rather than your Mandarin.

It's just my opinion though.

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
You could be a Personal Banker at any bank in an area with a large Chinese demographic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.