When to TIMG and when not?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by simsaladimbamba, Jun 13, 2014.

1. simsaladimbamba

Hello,

some of you may know me as the spinach who uses a lot of screenshots, some not (which is a shame, really).

I often come upon previous post of mine due to a necropost or me checking the "guide" I made for errors or new information.

Recently I came upon this post of mine again: How to attach an image to your MR post.

As you can see, there are a lot of images used there to show where to do what.
    That post is from early 2011, it was edited two years later to add TIMG tags.

Since my understanding of posting images always was the 800 pixel wide rule, I often adhered to it, to prevent that TIMG tag, since it adds several steps to the viewer to read the photos due to the viewer having to click on several images.

Now that the FAQ and Rules are in their new format, neither searching for "attach" nor "image" leads me to any permanent or dynamic rules.

Will there ever be a definite rule stating what sizes are acceptable in width and height and even file? Or will it stay fluid and if a post gets reported by someone, the TIMG tags will be added regardless of what width and height are being used?

I guess, that "recent" edit had to do with a mobile user being confused by the width of some of the images.

Anyway, a clear rule would help, as I design those screenshots to be viewed in full and not as thumbnail to remove additional steps of clicking.

Thank you for your answers, even if some have already been given via PMs with mods, but I am still confused.

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Looking at that thread I would guess they had been TIMGified because of the height of the images. A thread with a column of tall images can be a bit too much on a mobile device and it's possible there was a complaint about it.

It's only my guess though. :)

3. simsaladimbamba thread starter Guest

simsaladimbamba

Thanks, that would have been my other guess I guess.

But then again, even with TIMGs, that post is still a column of images.

I am still interested though on an official code of procedure, since it will probably not be my last post with more than three images, though I haven't posted that much (1000 posts only in nine months, something I could have done in less than 1/9th during my highly abusive times) the last year.

I just think, that conveying steps for a procedure is more universal via images, especially due to not many English viewers here.

I know, I am a bit alone in this, since not many do that many screenshots like I do, but maybe a clear code could help others understand the TIMG usage.

Ups, Veronica.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule.

800 pixel wide images are usually ok in general forum threads and we allow up to 1024 pixels wide in the image threads posted in the Picture Gallery forum.

I think you just need to apply a bit of common sense. Quite a few of the images in the thread you referenced were taller than the 800 pixel width "limit" which wouldn't be an issue if there are only a couple of images. Stack a dozen or so images together in one post and it can start causing problems.

5. simsaladimbamba thread starter Guest

simsaladimbamba

I try to with that common sense thingy, but I guess, since we now have two sets of www experiences, desktop and mobile, you either sacrifice usability for one and favour the other or vice versa, at least on a message board. If this would be a website and not a forum, it would be easier.

But then again, I will just limit the number of images or make two or three posts. Or work with smaller images in TIMG size. Or just, Veronica.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You can also post the images as attachments and let the forum software sort out the sizing.

7. simsaladimbamba thread starter Guest

simsaladimbamba

And have them doubled in appearance, once in the post, and once at the bottom of the post. And I have to put my faith into the forums software for resizing, which sometimes works and sometimes not.
    And my workflow is hampered, since Dropbox allows me to change errors in uploaded images much easier.

Again, thanks for trying to let me see some light. ;)

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

No, the images don't have to be doubled. Upload the image as an attachment and link it into the post using the paperclip icon. Example below.

IMG_2189.jpg

9. simsaladimbamba thread starter Guest

simsaladimbamba

Then something with the forum software changed, since some years ago or months ago, the post would also include that "Attached Images" section at the end listing all images.

But then again, it makes correcting mistakes harder, and I like it simple, otherwise I would use OS X 10.10 Yosemite.