When to upgrade...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by amnichols10, May 4, 2009.

1. amnichols10 macrumors regular

Currently got the black MacBook when some extra memory installed. The HD space on the cpu is just about used up and I wanted to get some people's opinions on what are some good indicators that you should upgrade your computer to the current or more power Mac that is out.

This is just something that I'm picking my brain about and wanted to know what others used for criteria. Thanks

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

That or buy an external hard drive. There's no need to buy a whole new computer if the only problem is hard drive space.

3. amnichols10 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I'm gonna do that. Besides that though when do you say "ok now it's time for a new mac". Do you ride your current one till the wheels fall off, when software is too advanced for your current OS. Or just when the thing brakes.:)

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...if disk space is the only problem you are having and the computer otherwise does what you need it to then I would:
    - clean out junk from the drive that I don't need/use and/or
    - archive some rarely used stuff to cd/dvd/external drive and/or
    - pop in a bigger drive

If you have the extra $$ to spend then by all means buy a new Macbook (or MBPro if you desire) and sell the old one as they hold their value fairly well but I'm guessing you've still got a lot of mileage left in what you have....oh yeah!

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

It all depends on the type of person you are. Some people like to have the latest and greatest, so they buy every time a new version comes out. Others buy only when they need it.

I usually upgrade my main computer every 2-3 years (which is currently an iMac). My secondary computer (which is currently a Macbook Pro) I only update when it falls apart or when it gets too slow for my needs.

6. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Whenever I feel like I need more, or in the case of my last purchase, less. But if you're considering a new machine just because you're running out of disk space, just buy a new HDD.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If it otherwise does what you want it to do, but in a larger, faster hard drive to extend its useful life. You've already paid for the machine, you may as well use it until it no longer meets your needs.

Doing otherwise is like trading your year old car for a new one simply because the ashtrays are full...:)

8. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

the best time to upgrade is just after an update that way you get the most computer for your money. this is true if you buy a refirb as well when the new models come out the slash prices in the refirb section. since you have a working computer i would wait until the next update.

9. amnichols10 thread starter macrumors regular

Cool thanks. I figured that the life time of a mac would be 3yrs give or take a year. Thanks for the info.

10. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I'm a poor student, and I'll be a poor student for another 2 years and I can't see my computing demands increasing all that much in that time.

So I'll use my 3.5 year old iBook for another 2 years at least (unless something extremely expensive breaks) then after uni I'll think about replacing it but again, I'm poor.

11. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Mine lasted 5 1/2 and I got rid of it when I needed a piece of software the old one wouldn't run (Aperture). Someone else is now enjoying it and I got a set of pretty good golf clubs.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

That's about as good an indication as any. When it can't do something you need it to do (or won't do it comfortably).

13. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

I rode my first computer, a Powerbook 12", until the wheels literally fell off. I used it for five and a half years until last November when I got my Macbook. I am planning to use this Macbook for around four years as well.

Of course, if it breaks out of warranty, it may make more sense to buy a new computer if the cost of repairs are high. This didn't happen with my Powerbook which was one reason why I kept it so long.

14. ChrisA macrumors G4

Don't buy a new computer just because the HD is full. Buy a new HD. They make drives 10X larger than what you have.

Buy a new computer when you can no longer run the software you want to use.

15. amnichols10 thread starter macrumors regular

My upgrade question isn't based on the fact that I need more HD space.

That's being said you can upgrade to a new HD and get that installed in the computer? I was only thinking that this could be done via external HD.

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You can upgrade it yourself on a MacBook. Its very easy. Plenty of youtube videos on how to do it.

17. WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

I have used my powerbook hard for the last 4 years, but it won't run the programs i need efficiently enough anymore. I'm taking the plunge for my upgrade now as I prepare for graduate school, and hope that I can use these machines for a similar length of time.

18. macgrl macrumors 65816

19. amnichols10 thread starter macrumors regular

Cool thanks. I started another thread called "HD upgrade". If anybody has any suggestions check out the thread. I'm open to any and all advice.