when to use reminders instead of calendar?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Trance, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Trance macrumors 6502

they both work the same what's some reasons or situation to use reminders over calendar.

I need to take a vitamin B12 shot every 30 days, is this a job for reminder or calendar?
    and doctor appointments?

2. random12345 macrumors newbie

I would say the difference is preference. I use Reminders to help me remember the list of things to do for a certain task. It is quick and doesn't require a time table. I use iCal as more of an appointment/scheduling tool.

In your case, I would use iCal and set up reoccurring appointments for every 30 days.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Pardon my curiosity, what is "reminders"? Is this something outside of iCal that's new in Lion (or SL)? I still use Leopard.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

^^ With Lion the iCal To Do list was renamed reminders and integrated with the Reminders iOS app.

I think it's a bit of an evolving thing still... if you use Reminders in conjunction with iOS, you can set the reminder to happen for something other than a time (e.g. when you enter/exit a location).

Mostly, though, my take is Reminder is probably suited for something that gets done rather than something that happens. Like, if you put my birthday in your calendar, the next day, whether you remembered my birthday or not, it's still not my birthday anymore. If you put "pickup my package at UPS" in your calendar, if you see the reminder and then you don't go do it, then your package is still sitting at UPS. Whereas it would stay on your reminder list until you marked it completed... if that makes sense?

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

^ That makes sense, but I've never seen the need to use the To Do List, aka Reminders. I just use the events calendar. If it's a one time thing, it still works.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Honestly me neither. :eek: I do the same as you.