When trying to download: all files open in browser instead.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SovietK, Dec 8, 2011.

1. SovietK macrumors newbie

Hello. I'm sorry if this question have already been answered. I have googled for a long time after this, also seen threads on this forum but it wasn't exactly my problem.

Whenever I try to download ANYTHING on the web, by left-clicking on the link - the item opens in a new browser window, regardless of filetype (.dmg/.zip/.mov/anything). If the link is a direct link to the file, I can download it by right-clicking and selecting "Save Link As...". If this is not possible I have to copy the URL of the download into a download manager. Its all very frustrating.

This problem occurs regardless of browser. (I remember trying in chrome & Safari - I remember firefox working sometimes) but I really don't like firefox. I want to use chrome as i do now.

I have tried redownloading/installing Chrome but nothing happened.

In advance, thank you for your help.
    Johan

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you tried pressing the Option key while left-clicking a link?

3. SovietK thread starter macrumors newbie

No. I can't imagen your suggestion would help much. I want to be able to click>download like everyone else can. thank you for your reply though.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Option-clicking is the Safari shortcut to download the file, rather than opening it in Safari. I rarely simply left-click a link to download a file. Can you post a link to a page that has something you'd download in that fashion, so I can test?

5. SovietK thread starter macrumors newbie

Well It have been happening in many months... I'll show the 2 types of link:

Type a) skype.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/windows/

> When pressing the download button, It takes you to a site which then redirects you to the download. In this case, the only way I can download the file is to copy the final URL (http://download.skype.com/3694814915aaa38100bfa0933f948e65/partner/trackable/259/SkypeSetup.exe) into my external download manager. (Jdownloader).

Type b) I can't find any link on the net. but these are the standard links. Usually just text "download here" which a direct link to the file you want to download. These links I can right-click "Save Link As..." but if i left click it just opens, even if it is a ZIP or DMG file.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's because Skype requires you to set up an account before you can download the file. The link you're clicking on is not a link to a file. It's a link to another web page. That's why no file downloads.
    When I left-click that link in your post, it downloads the file.

7. SovietK thread starter macrumors newbie

How stupid of me... The second URL is a perfect example of a direct file download, which links directly to the file. Skype does not say anything about making an account to me when trying to download. Nevertheless it is irrelevent, because this have happened to ALL downloads in a long time. It has nothing to do with skype, it was just an example.

So again, back to the original problem.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

9. SovietK thread starter macrumors newbie

That may be so, but again.. I was just trying to show the mechanics, that the button goes to a site that then redirects you to the download link, therefore I cant directly "click" the download link.
    I opens in a new tap going white. No download.. nothing.

Thank you for helping me :)