When under heavy load things happen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Thiefofspades, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Thiefofspades macrumors newbie

When my mac under heavy load it freezes (Obviously) but then the screen will go black, but not black like its off, its displaying a black image, and then goes into front row. Sometimes it will do this many times in a row. Now it has been doing this when i first bought it, its really strange.

2. Thiefofspades thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't really expect anyone to answer anyways

3. heliocentric Guest

I'm not sure what you want people to say?

Is it under warranty still? Have you tried doing a complete reinstall of osx ?

4. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Does it freeze when a specific application or DATA file is loaded? Does it freeze when its inner temps are hot? Do you have a memory upgrade installed? If so, what is the "memory chips" maker's name? And, what the memory chip install pattern in your specific iMac as well?

Try these things and let us know....

-------

A few months back, I remember reading about a computer system freezing and long story short, it was its 3rd party movie player application causing the problem.

To check inner temps, load istats Nano and manually record temp settings every 5 minutes. Perhaps its internals are "too hot" and its doing an auto-shut down? Or, locking up before it can perform its "last resort" auto shut-down routine.

A few months back, I remember reading that one memory chip maker had a bad batch of chips. Some makers have the odd "bad batch" and when that extra memory is under load, it locks the computer up.

--------

5. Thiefofspades thread starter macrumors newbie

Its not random, i can recreate the problem right now, no longer under warranty, this thing is always very hot during the summer because its in a window almost. Reinstalled many times before and nothing changes, and i thought all macs used intel chips.