When upgrading to a new iPhone, does it bring all your data over? (eg save games)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RoboCop001, May 6, 2010.

1. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

lol

I'm planning to get a new iPhone this year when it's released.

When I upgrade, how do I ensure that all my data moves over? I mean, app info, save games, etc. Does that stuff move over as well?

I'm guessing one needs to back it up, and then do a restore onto the new iPhone.

But since the new one will come with 4.0 and I have a 3G running 3.0, will I need to upgrade my 3G to 4.0 first, or is that unnecessary?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just restore from a backup from your 3G to the G4.

3. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I am wondering the same thing, but I am going from a 2G unlocked iphone, so will I be able to restore from backup or whatever and keep my settings and data?

4. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Both of you may have to reset all settings, if there any battery problems, but a reset doesn't affect game saves and app settings.

6. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

As long as I can bring all the apps' saved info over, I don't mind having to readjust the phone settings.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Right before you stop using the old phone, be sure to plug it into iTunes and see if it runs the backup. If it doesn't, right click the phone and select "Backup." That will force it to backup.

It's one of those things that usually happens on its own, but it's best to do it one last time in case it hasn't done it the last 2 or 3 times you synced for some unknown reason.

8. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

Good to know! I'll be sure to do that just in case.

Thanks.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Oh, 2 more things:

1) Right-click the phone and select 'transfer purchases.' That copies things you bought on the phone back to iTunes. That's another thing that SHOULD happen automatically, but it's best to force it.

2) Import the photos from your Camera Roll. Those are NOT backed up. You have to manually import them using iPhoto or whatever system you have for keeping photos on your computer.

(And, of course, synced videos, music, and photos are NOT backed up, but they should all be on your cmoputer, right?)

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Camera roll pics are backed up. It's the pics you download or sync from your computer that aren't.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Really? I wonder if that's changed. I thought I rememer someone complaining here in the past about that not happening. Maybe it was a bug for them or something. I'd never tried it.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It's been that way since 3.0, AFAIK. 2.2.1, I'm not sure.

Anyway, I don't rely on the backup for most things, unless I have to (like for SMS, which I don't care if I lose anyway). I copy the camera roll to a folder on my Mac and sync it back on the next sync, if I'm restoring for some reason. I like to have my stuff in two places, so I try to sync as much as I can (contacts, calendar, notes, etc.). You can't be too backed up.