When USB 3.0 in Macs and any adapters?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nelly22, Dec 18, 2010.

1. nelly22 macrumors 6502

When USB 3.0 comes to MacBooks and are there any adapters that turn Ethernet port to USB 3.0? Are there any cons using adapter like this?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

To be honest, nobody knows. Might be the next update, or the one after that, or the one after that... AFAIK there are adapter that make turn a USB port into an Ethernet port but I don't think there are adapters that work vice versa

3. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Currently there is NO support by apple for USB 3.0. Steve Jobs intends to skip over it and jump straight to lightpeak. That could change in the future, but its doubtful. BTW you can't turn an ethernet port into a USB port.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Never say never. http://www.usb-over-ethernet.com/ I doubt it would achieve even 100BaseT speeds, but it is there nonetheless.

B

5. nelly22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for answers.

Are there any adapters i could put Ethernet port which turns it to ExpressCard slot?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Unlikely, unless (like the link I posted) the device is essentially another personal computer connected to your Mac via Ethernet.

This is exactly why Intel is developing Light Peak, supposedly at Apple's suggestion. (And Apple is rumored to go straight to Light Peak).

One port to rule them all. Light Peak adapters should be available for USB, FireWire, Ethernet, ...

B

7. nelly22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the answers.

Last question: Are there any adapters which turns my USB-port to PCI card which is usually found inside tower computers?

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What would be the use of that? USB would still be the bottleneck, thus it would be waste of money

9. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

It all will be interesting in the future only because of the situation between intel and nVidia, also since LightPeak is an Intel solution, who knows what Apple will adopt, but for now, I have switched from USB 2.0 to FW800 an have no plan on going back or towards USB 3

10. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Stevey doesn't want USB 3, he's putting lightpeak in instead.

Out of curiosity, if lightpeak is based on fibre optics. How can it power devices like external hard disks?

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Intel said they are working on bundling a copper wire with the fibres so that it could provide power as well. Not 100% sure I guess though

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Doesn't stop the fine folks at LaCie. http://www.lacie.com/more/index.htm?id=10112 if you have the right Mac.

I had heard that Light Peak was to share the USB 3.0 power interface, but Wikipedia leaves it up in the air.

B