When using binge on for you tube...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tl01, Mar 12, 2016.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

Is there any way to know how much less data is used when binge on is activated vs not activated? Thanks!

2. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Binge on (Tmo) means no data used. But the stream is lower quality. And as of now YouTube is not a partner but they are "coming soon".
    I assume you know this but meant to ask something different?

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

T-mobile actually takes all video streams and reduced their bandwidth. When binge on is active, even YouTube Is "optimized". It's the main reason I don't understand why a provider has to "opt in". Binge on literally "optimizes" all video streams but the opting in is begat allows the end user to have none of that count towards their data pool.

As far as the original question, I've found that you use roughly 200 megabytes per hour streaming YouTube with binge on active.

4. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Agree. Why opt in if its "optimized" by choice.
    So if YouTube was an official partner you would use 0 data, not 200mb (hypothetically. Right?

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

this is correct.

One thing I hypothesized (but don't know if it's true) is that by "opting in" these content providers give t-mobile data on what specific content is being consumed. That fats tailored to an individual plan (even if not linked directly to a name) cam be very valuable.

Ágai, no conclusive information either way. I've tried took it up and even asked tmo pm Facebook and email. I did get a response but it was PR Bulls it lol.