when using macbook at home..take battery out?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lshirase, Jan 7, 2008.

1. lshirase macrumors regular

question...when using my macbook at home with the ac plug in..should the battery be taken out? i heard if you keep the battery in while ac plug is in for a long period of time, it can shorten its overall life capacity?

2. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

There is really no point. You'll probably cause more damage to the battery by taking it out over and over than actually leaving it in the machine.

3. bov macrumors 6502

not that i dont trust you, but can anyone else confirm this?

just wanted to see if this is known to be true within the MR community and get some more opinions :D

4. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

You have to remember as well that the MacBook (or MBP) are not designed to work without a battery and for this reason their clockspeed is limited to its lowest possible when the battery is removed. On the original Macbooks this was 1GHz.

A lot to lose for no real gain.

5. Gizmo503 macrumors newbie

macbook batteries

I can confirm that if you leave your ac plugged in for long periods of time that it will indeed shorten the battery life. This is due to the battery after a while always thinking it needs ac to work. a good way of combatting this is to let the battery charge and decharge regularly. Once m battery is fuly charged i take the ac out and let it run down A good widget to show you the health and how many cycles your battery has done is istat pro.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

Agreed.

Coconut Battery:
    http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/index.html

7. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

there is no need to take the battery out when using the power supply, to be honest i don't even know if it would work, but i doubt anyone would recommend you try it as then the back is open to the elements.

whilst using the power supply if the battery is over 90% the battery is bypassed and the laptop works straight from the power supply. if you primarily use your laptop from the power supply then i would advise calibrating the battery at least once a month. This just means running it through one complete cycle of running the battery down and then charging it up again fully. there is a guide to this opn macrumors, if you do a quick search.

8. babyskiffie macrumors newbie

how many cycles can a macbook battery runs???
    I had my macbook for a week and it's on cycle 13.
    issit healthy???
    i want to keep my battery life as long as possible and ppl's telling me to just keep it plugged so it wont ruin the cycle thing.

9. areusche macrumors regular

areusche

If you're using your macbook pro as a desktop replacement you should just unplug the magsafe adapter and continue to work. Let the battery run down until you get the warning and plug it back in.

I do this pretty much every night, but I cuddle up to my laptop at night to play some Sim City. The machine pretty much runs dry in about 3 hours so it works out well.