When watching blu ray or HD movies, does the resolution scale down for 27"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GKDAIR, Jan 14, 2012.

1. GKDAIR macrumors regular

So i'm looking at getting either the base 27" or the high end 27" I dunno which.

BUT I may get the 21.5 depending on your answers to my question.

1) Let's say I rented a movie off of iTunes or I watched a blu ray off of an external drive, will the resolution of those movies be the full 2560 x 1440 or will it be scaled down to 1920 x 1080. Also, if it is scaled down, how bad does it look given that that the movie is not playing at the full resolution?

I know video games can run at the native resolution so I don't know why the movies wouldn't. But thanks for answering the question

2. simsaladimbamba

Since the 27" iMac has 2560 x 1400 pixel, that is the native resolution of that Mac.
    If you play 720p or 1080i/p video, the video gets scaled up, but depending on the software you use the play the video, you won't notice it really.
    I can play 480p and 720p video, if properly encoded, on my 1680 x 1050 pixel 20" iMac just fine and it doesn't show any blocky pixels.

And if you are at an Apple Store or a store selling Macs, which allows you internet access, just watch some of the trailers at http://trailers.apple.com in 720p or 1080p/i on the 27" iMac and see for yourself.

3. GKDAIR thread starter macrumors regular

I also watch a lot of netflix. If I run some movies off of that will it look horrible and blocky if I fullscreen it? I'm a computer geek but yet resolution always confuses me.

4. simsaladimbamba

That depends on the quality Netflix employs on their offerings. As I don't use Netflix, I can't comment on that.
    If the video you watch is a properly encoded 1080p stream, then it will not horrible or blocky. It is not like watching some stupid 260p YouTube video on a 1080p screen.