when/what to buy: new laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chopset06, Feb 15, 2010.

1. chopset06 macrumors newbie

Hi guys
    My laptop was recently stolen from my university library. I know it sucks. But anyway, thank goodness it was insured. So I am now in the market for a new mac laptop (and I can get the 100$ or so off with college discount) and I have around 1600$ to spend. I want to buy the macbook pro but I have heard rumors that it is being updated soon and I want the newest of the new as this will probably be my computer for the next 3-5 years+. When is the pro being updated because I can get by for now on my friends laptop and the library desktops. Also, if i can buy a laptop now, should i choose macbook or macbook pro?
    Heres what I need
    13-15 inch screen
    good size hd ( i take a lot of pics/videos)
    I use the internet, I use office, garageband and iphone occasionally, and when i am employed next fall i will most likely use keynote, ppt, and excel a lot.

Please let me know if you know FIRM rumors of new macbooks/pros and when they may come out. I am looking to buy a laptop in the next 2 months.
    Thank you very much!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The Best Buy rumor on the front page looks pretty firm. If you want a 15", then the low-end 15" MBP would be the choice.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Probably within the next 2 months
    But there are NO firm rumors
    That is why they are rumors

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. phrint macrumors 6502

Really? I mean come on guy. The new MBPs will be out within your time frame to buy. For future reference, there are about 80 threads right now on this exact same topic. Please search before posting. This is becoming so friggin old.

6. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

It really depends on what happens with the update. I would recommend you get a 13" with 4 GB of RAM and a hardrive upgrade. Then you can spend any extra money on a display.

7. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Whatever you go for max out on RAM - it will make a big difference if you are doing lots of video etc.

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Why? Adding those things yourself is cheaper and so easy a 10 year old could do it.

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_13_unibody/

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

If you need a new computer, you need a new computer. While the new MacBook Pros may be out tomorrow (or they might not be) any current production model is more than adequate for the applications listed. When you are out of school and employed you will be given a computer (most companies don't allow personal systems on their networks) so whatever you own is a non-issue.

10. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Oxymoron.

Unfortunately, we don't know anything for sure. There are some signs pointing to an update, but nothing that nails the release date down.

Honestly, they could be released on any Tuesday starting tomorrow until the WWDC keynote.

11. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

You may as well go ahead and buy them now. If they do update the Pro's it'll only be a slightly faster processor and probably not something amazing like BluRay.

If you're doing a lot of video and photography, you need the MacBook Pro 15/17, the integrated chip in the MacBook (+Pro 13) just isn't enough to meet your needs. Boost the RAM as high as you can afford, this will help a lot with video rendering and the like.

Rumours are just rumours. You can never know. I'm happy that I bought my MacBook when I did instead of waiting, because I now have the last ever generation of black MacBook. Buying now saves you the embarrassment of thinking "Damn I should have bought it back then" when the new Pro's only difference is that the keyboard lights are a slightly mellower warm white instead of blue white.

12. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

actually this is not the case all over. in the uk for example, it is pretty much the same to buy from apple, and the parts are also covered by applecare!:)