When & what's your earliest memory?

billyergs

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
CT
I read that some people remember being born, like right out of their mothers womb, I find this hard to believe.

My girlfriend says she remembers crawling and taking her first steps.

The earliest memory that I can remember would be getting my arm/hand stuck in a pringles container and having a babysitter try to pry it off. I was able to walk, eat on my own and get my srm stuck so I guess I was between 2-3 years old.

To this day I still get my arm caught in Pringles containers.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I remember jumping off a diving board at a pool in Honolulu when I was three. Went back to that same neighborhood several years ago and it was exactly as I remembered it.

No one can really remember when they were born... that's confabulation. The mind is still "booting up" when you're born and has no long-term memory yet.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Guess I was a slow one...my first clear memory is a family trip to visit friends in Cleveland...trip to Cedar Point, going to see ET in the theater, their house, etc. It was a couple of months after my fourth birthday.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
I remember being out in the neighbourhood in San Jose with my adoptive parents, so I was between a little over 1 up to 3 years old. I've had a few glimpses of that time like the strawberry plants in the backyard and being in the driver's seat of the 1960 VW Beetle.

I don't remember being drunk, though. :D

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
My earliest memory (at least, the earliest I can put a precise date on) would be my parents bringing my newborn brother back from the hospital. I remember being spectacularly unimpressed with my new sibling, especially his still-healing bellybutton. :p

EDIT: Oops, I should have mentioned I would have been three-and-a-half at the time. :eek:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
My earliest glimpse is me sitting on the carpet in the living room where we lived until I was 2. This must have been early though, because I don't think I could walk (at least not functionally), yet. So I'm guessing I must have been about a year.

There was a special occurrence that happened that made me remember the situation, but I'm afraid that's too personal to share here... ;)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I can't remember:p :rolleyes: Actually it was when I was 2 when I got a concussion.

maddav

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2004
Manchester, UK
My earliest memory was when I was 2, because we'd just moved house, and I remember the horrible decor of the house (Think Brown).

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Age 3.5...jumping off front porch in to snow which was over my head...blink, blink.

tiny_101

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2005
Canada
Gosh, I think I have a really bad memory; I remember when I was about 3/4 years of age walking around pushing a little chair :eek: but that's about as far as it goes.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
This is an interesting thread. I find it so fascinating that we're able to dig deep in our heads somewhere physical and be able to retrieve memories which seem so ethereal. And it's amazing we're able to recall which memory we want from such a vast warehouse of memories.

I was probably 3 or 4 when I remembered holding onto a tube treading in water on the coast of the Pacific Ocean. I was scared of sharks, even when I don't remember ever seeing sharks before. Weird. Memories also include playing with starfishes and bleaching them in the sun.

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
God, that's a really interesting question. I think my memory gets confused with my imagination and video tapes I've seen of my childhood. But I think my first REAL memory is some sort of spending of time at my grandparents' apartment.

mj_1903

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2003
Sydney, Australia
I can "remember" things that I have seen pictures of but my clearest memory would have to be failing to fall asleep one Christmas eve. I was probably 5 at the time.

My memory has never been all that grand but I don't do anything about it so I have only myself to blame.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
I have a very clear and vivid memory of something that happened when I was about 18 months old.

My 4 year old brother was throwing pillows down the top of my grandparents stairs. I picked up a pillow and didn't let go when I threw it and fell down the stairs (no carpeting either).

I remember not being able to see for what seemed like 5 minutes at the time and my mom holding me at the dinner table where all the adults were still carrying on a conversation.

I can remember just the way my brother looked and the smell of the gravy and meatballs my Grandma was making and I can remember the feeling of being blind at scared.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Origin story

I was at my grandparents house and my brother surprised me with his SpiderMan mask. I started crying and our grandfather ripped the mask in two.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Mine is when I was probably 3 or 4. Can remember my Mom cooking in the kitchen. I was in the living room, but could see my Mom. The exciting part was seeing my father coming home from work. He brought me a red fire engine with a yellow ladder.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
bousozoku said:
I don't remember being drunk, though. :D
Reminded me of:

"You'd better be prepared for the jump into hyperspace. It's unpleasantly like being drunk."

"What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"

"You ask a glass of water."