When will 3g see iPod touch like stainless steel?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cheese07, Sep 9, 2008.

1. cheese07 macrumors newbie

So the iPod touch has been given the stianless steel treatment while the 3g stills stays with the plastic. When will Apple give the 3g the same treatment? Could they be holding out for a higher priced one around the holidays?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, the moved from metal on the first-gen iPhone to plastic on the second-gen because the radio signals get through it better.

So I'm having a hard time thinking of a reason to back to metal.

3. cheese07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes to quote the great Big Lebowski..."Looks like we can close the file on that one."

I guess function over fashion will be the way of the iPhone for some time then.

4. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

nope, never.

5. archi17 macrumors regular

hopefully never. It gets so fingerprinty and scratchy. A lot more than the plastic

6. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

When first announced I didn't like moving from metal to plastic. I changed my mind. I like plastic.

I wonder if a matte finish like the Macbook line would work, though.

7. slicecom macrumors 68020

I like my 3G's plastic back WAYYYY more than the stainless back iPod's have had for years. That was one thing I never liked about iPods.

As for your question, NEVER unless they somehow figure out a way to put all the antennas right behind the glass above and below the screen, but then it would probably be sending too many radio waves thru your head, so again, NEVER. If you must have a stainless back, get an iPod.

8. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

most likely never, but there could be a return to brushed aluminum one. The new Touch looks great though. I would like that look on my 3G. I like the back of the 1st ten iPhone a lot. I've gotten used to the plastic but it's taken awhile.

9. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Never

but, I do like the looks of that new iPod Touch -- really slick.

10. Joe23 macrumors 6502

I'd love to see something like that. I'm all for the shinyness and all, but it is a bitch to keep clean. Perhaps a matte finish might offer more grip too.