When will 4th Generation touch be released?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mm428, Jun 10, 2010.

1. mm428 macrumors newbie

Also, if you wanted to purchase an ipod now would you rather get the nano or wait for a potential 4th generation, or just settle for the 3rd gen?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

It will comes out in September or OCtober. Same as every year.

3. thermal macrumors regular

It will be announced around September 6th or 7th.

4. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

it depends on what you want, but when the fourth gen comes out around September, the 3rd gens cost should decrease so personally im waiting for that to happen to get an ipod touch, but i guess if the new additions are worth it then i might just get a 4th gen ipod touch, they almost definitely should have a camera, almost everyones expecting it, especially after the 5th gen nano, but its :apple:'s call. hopefully they keep the same shape as the 2nd and 3rd gen so everybody doesnt have to wait for cases, oh wait never mind because of the camera, unless they put it on the front:p, i dont think there will be much change other than maybe a faster processor, camera, possibly a bigger screen, more apps (not a physical change but still), maybe a built in mic, and HOPEFULLY a different backing cause i dont think anybody other than apple like the chrome, stainless steel, whatever, im not sure if you guys have heard this but there are rumors (probably true), that all the case companies payed apple to make their ipod touch backings the metal that scratches easily in order to make people buy their cases more, if its not true (doubt it), then why would they have the backing that way? well, it worked, and everybody thats heard of this rumor knows it.

5. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

You oughtta ask people on forums questions like this all the time. Everyone on the Internet has the inside info :cool:. They announce the new generations of iPods the same time every year.

I can't imagine anyone buying a 3rd Gen now. A camera, or cameras, is/are inevitable. New design similar to the iPhone 4, and an A4 Chip. It will be far superior to the 3rd Gen.

6. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Idk if i will buy a 3rd gen or not, cause the 4th gen sounds pretty promising, but it seems like a long time to wait, but even if i do buy a 3rd gen, i will probably still get it around September because of the price decrease, and it should have a better processor which is cool, again i hope it has a different backing. :cool:

7. DJGuy macrumors newbie

prices are down

Prices are already down. Target, Toys R Us, Best Buy, all list the iPod Touch at 35-50 dollars off.

8. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

hmmm.... yah, but theyll probably decrease more, plus im probably buying from ebay. actually, now that i think of it, i might buy the 4g, as long as it has a 16gb. but if it doesnt im probably gettin a 3g

9. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Thats more than speculative...cameras were 'inevitable' with the touch 3g, did it happen? There were strong rumors days before the event. The rumors were even confirmed, but Apple pulled the camera out at the last minute due to manufacturing issues. I don't think the iPod touch 4 will look anything like an iPhone 4. It is reasonably likely to have an A4 chip.

10. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Why do you want 16? the current one doesn't have 16gb...

11. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

cause itll be cheaper, plus i wont use 32gb, but i will 8gb, so i need something in between, and there are rumors that theyre going to replace the 8gb with 16gb. but i guess we'll find out around September. :cool:

12. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

I think you're wrong friend. I doubt they'd release a whole new generation of Touches and the only major hardware addition is an A4 chip. That wouldn't really sell. Parents buying these decvices for their children at Christmas won't buy them because of an A4 chip, most kids wouldn't care about that. A camera though, that's a fantastic reason to buy one instead of a previous generation.

And they have to change up the design, it'd be unwise not to. They're going with the special iPhone 4 glass on the front and back, separate volume buttons, and a more squared off look.

13. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

i agree ogdaniel, what does an a4 chip do anyway? how do you know what the 4g ipod touch is gonna look like? the iphone glass would be a nice touch. but on the back? cant wait to see it, hopefully, they release a lot of cases for it and have the 16gb model.

14. na1577 macrumors 6502a

After last year's touch, it's not an entirely unreasonable expectation.

Apple seems to be less interested in upgrades rather than entirely new users who have not been introduced to the App Store.

15. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

16. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

I'm just guessing. But all my guesses are obvious. Everyone hates the shiny back, they have to change it. And Apple has always changed the form factor of their devices every couple years, historically. Just like with the Mac Mini now, nothing was theoretically wrong with it, but they gave it a fresh look.

And the A4 chip is incredible custom designed silicon, made by Apple for these iOS devices. It's fantastic, but it's not solely a good enough reason for everyone to buy one, a lot of people take that kind of stuff for granted.

17. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

so whats the a4 chips purpose, does it boost processor speeds? sorry.