when will a 13" matte come out?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sailor720, Aug 15, 2009.

1. sailor720 macrumors newbie

I am considering upgrading my late 2007 macbook and would signifigantly prefer an antiglare screen, but dont really want to spend the extra $400 on a 15 macbook. What are the odds the 13 antiglare is available before the ipod promo runs out as the extra $200 i can get from selling the touch makes buying right after snow leopard comes out next month a very attractive option
    thanks

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Not likely. Only Apple knows if/when it will be released.

3. macboy4 macrumors regular

I don't think you'll be able to get one before the education promo runs out, but after Snow Leopard

Promo ends Sept. 8 : http://images.apple.com/promo/pdf/BTS09_TermsConditions-US_v2.pdf

And you definitely won't get it before the new iPod Touch comes out. Apple always makes it so the latest iPods are available right after the promo ends.

4. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Do you really hate the glassy screen that much? There seems to be a lot of people who initially hate it but then once they use it, they have no problems with it whatsoever. I personally liked it from the get go as even when there are reflections (like using it in the backseat of a car on sunny day) my eyes would focus on the screen and not the reflections at all.

5. mathlete123 macrumors member

never

IMO, apple will never release the matte screen option for the 13 inch MBP for two reasons. 1. Thats basically what the whitebook is, right? I mean, Apple is trying to keep the MBP and MB line separate (kinda) so if metal v. plastic is the only difference, ..... 2., Apple is also drawing a line between the men and the boy MBP wise. The 13 incher will never be truly pro, but it wont be going back to unpro status. OTOH, all of this may change when the mactablet appears.

6. joehahn macrumors regular

the whitebooks have the same glossy screen....and plastic v aluminum is definitely not the only differece

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You won't get Snow Leopard pre-installed before the promo expires. And you won't get the new iPod touch for free before the promo expires. Matte screens suck because they just spread the reflection/glare light across the screen. And it's blurry compared to a crisp glossy display.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

The best option I could think of would be installing a matte screen yourself, voiding your warranty. Assuming the screen is pin compatible. Though you would need to fashion a bezel yourself as removing the glass also removes the black border.

Companies offer this service for $199. But if you choose the correct screen and are handy with sheet aluminum you can save all of that and probably a little extra. Since you should then be able to sell your glossy LCD and glass on eBay for more than matte screens usually run.

Instead of the sheet aluminum you could probably use Acrylic of the same thickness of the Macbooks glass for the bezel the paint it black. The acrylic may be better since it would be easier to shape with sandpaper.

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Grab a glossy, use some wire wool, remove the sheen...
    Whoa la! Your own custom Matte finished :D

[​IMG]

Joking aside, matte version of anything other than the 17" is highly unlikely.

10. jmcguckin macrumors regular

except for the fact that Apple recently added a matte screen as an option on the 15" MBP for ~$50... I honestly get the feeling that Apple have only made that move to cater to the graphic designers/movie editors who need the accurate colors of a matte screen, but the 15.4" and 17" MBP's have always set the standard for that kind of work (at least, TMK), while the 13.3" MBP's screen seems almost too small for it- which is my reasoning for believing Apple aren't putting a lot of priority on adding a matte screen as an option for that model.

don't get me wrong, I hope it happens (that, and a resolution bump- even if as a more expensive option), but if it does, I doubt it will be in the near future. then again, that's what we said about the 15.4" model, and look what happened...

11. macjay macrumors 6502