Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nashville_Todd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2018
I need another Apple TV. Will a new one be released soon or should I just bite the bullet and buy the latest one available now?

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
It could be months, or years away. No time like the present. Also a good opportunity to just shell out for a gaming console that supports 8k if that's what you're waiting for or need. They have Apple TV apps available.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I just bought the current one, 4kgen3, yesterday. While my 4kgen1 is plenty fast the 4kgen3 is snappier.

Maybe get a gen 1 or gen 2 ?

-

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
My sources say Apple is going to leap over 8K and 16K and jump to a 32K AppleTV to be released on TUE. It includes a partnership with Sony for Playstation 11 games AND a partnership with Xbox for their entire game slate for 2042-44. Optional transporter pad and food replicator sold separately. ;)

We know nothing here. Only Apple knows answers to release date questions. A new one is very likely coming but #3 has the best call on timing.

NickTuesday

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Pretty sure the 32gb model is dead. I can't see it making a comeback. There was none for the last gen. Also 5 sku's is way too many especially since typically there is no way to differentiate the models at a glance, even from the packaging itself. Unless retail only gets 64 and 128 and 256 and 512 are only available directly from Apple's online store.

Also, we know how much Apple likes to charge for extra storage. $199 for 512gb seems highly unlikely. Like I have said before, if Apple gets overambitious with the specs, the pricing will start to head into base Mac Mini territory. And it would be strange to have an Apple TV with 512gbs and the base Mac Mini only having 256gbs.

Most likely the new Apple Tv will just get a spec bump. A slightly faster processor. Business as usual. Nothing to worry about, the current model will do just fine especially if you don't play any games on the device. The current remote is really good and even if that changes you can just buy that separately anyway.

Last edited:

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
I need another Apple TV. Will a new one be released soon or should I just bite the bullet and buy the latest one available now?
The usual purchasing advice applies, if you need it now buy it now.

Nobody outside of Apple knows when a new version will be released.

Melmanoh

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2020
I don't need a new one but my first gen 4k is showing its age, very slow Wfi constant issues with Airplay while my 2022 4k ATV is working fine. I can try to hold out to the end of year hopefully but I hope they release something soonish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.