when will a new thunderbolt display come out

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jondunford, Nov 12, 2013.

1. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

3. jondunford thread starter macrumors 6502

jondunford

the latest article on there is expectations for october 22

its now november

does it mean october 2014?

4. mslide macrumors 6502a

Nobody here knows the answer to your question. Only Apple knows when a new display will be released. All anybody here can do is speculate.

5. jondunford thread starter macrumors 6502

jondunford

ok thanks

can you speculate the time you think the new one will come out or is it random

6. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

The logical time seems to be when the new Mac Pros come out. I haven't seen any reliable info but it just seems odd that Apple would release a brand new desktop, brag about it's ability to run multiple 4K monitors and only have an old model display to sell with it. My hope is that in December Apple will update the current ATD to match the iMac ports and style and also release a higher end 4K model.

While I'm at it I'll throw out my request for a 21 inch ATD but that is just dreaming I think.

7. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Anyone can speculate - only Apple knows (and they don't tell until they decide to.) Speculation by random people online is useless.

8. mtmac macrumors regular

If speculation is useless, why bother having this site in the first place? My speculation is that new TBDs, MacPros, MacMinis, and non-retina MBPs will come out at the same time, which Apple has said the new MacPros will debut in December. I believe it will be early, as they will want to take advantage of the Christmas market, and offer corporate buyers flexibility which fiscal year they prefer to make the purchase. They first announced the new MacPro for sometime in 2013, then fall, then December. They can still make true on all 3 of their promises by delivering before 12/21, the winter solstice. It's all a matter of when they can ship all of the devises, and to capitalize on Christmas, they'll want to offer them sooner vs. later.

9. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

No clue what Apple's 3 promises are or where you inferred that. I'm assuming you are talking about the timeline of the Mac Pro in which case nothing was promised, those various dates were merely estimates given for product availability.

The age of the non-retina MBP is very nearly over. The 15" cMBP was silently dropped with the introduction of the recently refreshed Haswell models. It would be rather shocking to see them update the 13" cMBP line with Haswell processors at this point.

Mac Pro is virtually guaranteed for December launch barring any unforeseen production/assembly setbacks. This is also the only one of the 4 guaranteed to be updated immediately.

Whether or not there is an updated Mac Mini is pure conjecture. Apple hasn't said anything about this, although the timeline between updates definitely suggests it could be time. A redesign is possible given that the current Haswell processors don't appear to offer significant improvements.

I am hoping that Apple does release an updated Thunderbolt Display with a similar form factor to the current 27" iMac, updated with USB3 and TB2 connections. Again though, there has been no word on any update aside from the usual speculation on forums like this. The extended time between updates does suggest that one is likely in the near future.

10. bhamss macrumors newbie

read this rumor last night from reddit

"Apple hasn’t updated its thunderbolt displays since they were first introduced back in 2011 and with the announcement of the new Mac Pro it was almost inevitable that Apple would release a new Thunderbolt display. Spotted by Redditor AEFESFUFSU, that previous iPad Mini display manufacturer AUO has started manufacturing 27inch and 32inch 4K displays that use DisplayPort signaling “which all Apple LCD displays use and are fully compatible with Thunderbolt without any additional signal processing.”

The panels have a 3840×2160 resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio and use eDP (Extended Display Port) signals. These are the first 4k panels manufactured using DisplayPort signaling. It is very likely that we see these displays being used in the upcoming Thunderbolt 2 display however these are still unconfirmed rumors.

If Apple will release the Thunderbolt 2 display it can be expected soon after the release of the new Mac Pro which will support up to three 4K displays

- See more at: http://www.amongtech.com/apple-thunderbolt-2-displays-to-be-27inch-and-32inch/#sthash.7JMroFEP.dpuf

11. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Why do folks care if the edge is as thin as iMac? After all a 27" ATD mark 2 will take up the save desk/table space as ATD mark 1. I suggest far more important are higher resolution, lower glare screen, TB2 and USB 3. It will be interesting to see if an ATD mark 2 drops FW.

12. bravenewmac macrumors member

if they push a high res display that would also mean that even current macbook airs arent supported anymore. !??!?

13. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

I think you mean any non-TB2 computers.

Which I will be very pissed about as my early 13 15R is more capable then the majority of the current line of MacBooks.

Not leaving apple as I do love OSX but it would be nice to give their customers a heads up. I have been waiting on a refreshed display now since october of 2012.

14. bkar89 macrumors regular

bkar89

I'll wait until the new Mac Pro is released in December. If there aren't any news after that, I'm just gonna buy the current one.

15. Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

I hope they do release the new model in December. That will help push the price down on the older model to a point where my wife might let me buy it. Lol

16. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

That would be sweet. I just got my apple gift cards from selling our old phones and pads.

17. mtmac macrumors regular

Rumored Mac Pro in Germany 12/16, French press release said they would be available 12/18. I've been waiting since June of '12 for a TBD. I think they will be even harder to come by than the Pro's, as they will be competing for TB2 controllers. There probably will not be enough initial supply to sell many Mac Pro's which they really have been focussing their marketing on. As bad as this display needs updating, the Pro is in even greater need of an upgrade, and they owe it to that crowd to get that product out. I really need the display now, I may just get a TBD1 and return it for the new model which may be a couple months backordered. I've gone so long without it, but now I really need something more than a 13" Air for a project.