When will all major U.S phone carriers offer unlimited data for iPhone ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Oct 20, 2014.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

Are they thinking of it?
    What's the point of LTE if we would consume all the data in so little time.
    200MB for the cheapest is not enough these days. The size of webpages and Facebook and instagram takes up too much data. 200MB should be the amount per day or something.

I believe they should offer unlimited data with throttled speeds.
    So you pay 1GB of non throttled unlimited LTE data. For a price and if you want more data without throttled. Than you pay more.
    I think that will be extremely fair or even choose a speed option too.
    3G vs LTE for speed. Something like that. Since AT&T and Verizon doesn't offer unlimited :(

2. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Uhhhhhhhh…are you really serious with this question?

I've had unlimited data since Christmas 2008. Sprint Everything Data 1500 family plan.

That was superceded last year by the All In and MyWay plans. Those were replaced with the new Sprint unlimited plan just a month or so ago.

T-Mobile has had Unlimited Data for a few years now.

Or do you mean that only AT&T and Verizon are major US phone carriers?

4. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

To be fair he did say ALL.

5. CoilTap macrumors regular

We will never again see un-throttled all you can eat data plans on the major networks. /thread

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Oh I see. As in when ALL of them at ONCE? Meaning no matter which carrier you go to, they all will have an unlimited plan?

If that's the meaning, then…yeah, that's never going to happen. AT&T, Verizon and the rest that don't offer unlimited make way too much money squeezing their customers for their data.

7. cymolia macrumors 6502a

8. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Yea most likely never. Only sprint snd T-Mobile have unlimited

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It's not going to happen anytime soon.

Most cellular networks do not have the capacity to offer unlimited data to everybody. Until then everybody needs to pay for their bandwidth!

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Considering most if not all of them used to have it and have been moving away from it I doubt we will see it anytime in the foreseeable future.

11. Shan S. macrumors member

It's funny when the whole concept of smart phones such as the first palm phones came out everyone had unlimited data.. Same with the early windows phones.. It was a small population. Like everyone said after all the data hungry iPhones and Android phones came out... We will never see true unlimited non throttled data again. It's sad :(

12. CEmajr macrumors 601

Why would AT&T or Verizon offer unlimited data when they make way more money from tiered data and overages? Tmobile and Sprint are too small and don't have enough coverage to compete directly with them on the basis of network so offering it wouldnt help AT&T or Verizon be more competitive either.

So the answer to your question is never.

13. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

in Canada you can get it on the crappy bad signal carriers, but the big 3 rape you for data, I got 6GB when it was 30$ a month now 6GB is 120$

14. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

The answer to your question is quite the opposite. They used to have unlimited data plans and have been pushing tiered plans for years now. Bigger profits.

15. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Maybe if we're lucky and John Legere is cloned and replaces each CEO with every carrier to then offer unlimited data it will happen. However, I'm going to lean towards never.

16. rGiskard macrumors 68000

rGiskard

When the FCC forces them to do so. In other words, NEVER!

17. epphllps macrumors 6502

When will all major U.S phone carriers offer unlimited data for iPhone ?

I just got a call from Verizon begging me to upgrade and get off my unlimited data plan. Was told about many offers and trade in options. She said, "We can see you are taking full advantage of your data plan". Told them I live in the sticks will LTE coverage, of course I am going to eat through data. I also pay for tethering on top of it. They can try, but will not succeed! Bahahaha lol

So in short, we will never see unlimited plans again for Verizon and they are going to proactively try to get us to get off of the plan.

18. keitarou macrumors 6502

What are you talking about? There are so many Verizon UDP on eBay. Some are giving it away for free or nominal fee.

19. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

curious what do they say to get you off your existing plan?

20. epphllps macrumors 6502

NOTHING that will get any of us to budge. Just told me about trade in promotions I already knew about. Such as trading in a 5S and getting $300 and so on. Absolutely nothing that would get me to budge, especially when I live in the middle of nowhere with zero options for high speed internet besides a cellular provider. Pretty lame attempt in my mind.

21. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

22. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

so essentially you could not get a subsidize phone without giving it up?

my carrier in Canada did that to me this year so I bought the phone unlocked

23. epphllps macrumors 6502

As far as I know now, especially with Verizon, you can't get a subsidized phone without losing your unlimited data. Now I will say there is a loophole, but that can easily be googled. I don't like to keep throwing it out there myself as I hope it stays open until my iPhone 6+ arrives.

24. slazareth macrumors regular

I think its still many years away. Never is just not a realistic answer. I'm sure if you asked people 10 years ago if unlimited minutes would ever be a thing, they'd have laughed at you. There will be some other thing that the companies can charge for in the future and data will be unlimited. But until they figure out the next thing to charge for, we're going to have to pay for data.