When will all major U.S phone carriers offer unlimited data for iPhone ?

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Are they thinking of it?
What's the point of LTE if we would consume all the data in so little time.
200MB for the cheapest is not enough these days. The size of webpages and Facebook and instagram takes up too much data. 200MB should be the amount per day or something.

I believe they should offer unlimited data with throttled speeds.
So you pay 1GB of non throttled unlimited LTE data. For a price and if you want more data without throttled. Than you pay more.
I think that will be extremely fair or even choose a speed option too.
3G vs LTE for speed. Something like that. Since AT&T and Verizon doesn't offer unlimited :(

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Uhhhhhhhh…are you really serious with this question?

I've had unlimited data since Christmas 2008. Sprint Everything Data 1500 family plan.

That was superceded last year by the All In and MyWay plans. Those were replaced with the new Sprint unlimited plan just a month or so ago.

T-Mobile has had Unlimited Data for a few years now.

Or do you mean that only AT&T and Verizon are major US phone carriers?

kupkakez

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
Uhhhhhhhh…are you really serious with this question?

I've had unlimited data since Christmas 2008. Sprint Everything Data 1500 family plan.

That was superceded last year by the All In and MyWay plans. Those were replaced with the new Sprint unlimited plan just a month or so ago.

T-Mobile has had Unlimited Data for a few years now.

Or do you mean that only AT&T and Verizon are major US phone carriers?
To be fair he did say ALL.

CoilTap

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
We will never again see un-throttled all you can eat data plans on the major networks. /thread

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It's not going to happen anytime soon.

Most cellular networks do not have the capacity to offer unlimited data to everybody. Until then everybody needs to pay for their bandwidth!

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Considering most if not all of them used to have it and have been moving away from it I doubt we will see it anytime in the foreseeable future.

Shan S.

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
It's funny when the whole concept of smart phones such as the first palm phones came out everyone had unlimited data.. Same with the early windows phones.. It was a small population. Like everyone said after all the data hungry iPhones and Android phones came out... We will never see true unlimited non throttled data again. It's sad :(

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Why would AT&T or Verizon offer unlimited data when they make way more money from tiered data and overages? Tmobile and Sprint are too small and don't have enough coverage to compete directly with them on the basis of network so offering it wouldnt help AT&T or Verizon be more competitive either.

So the answer to your question is never.

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
The answer to your question is quite the opposite. They used to have unlimited data plans and have been pushing tiered plans for years now. Bigger profits.

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
Maybe if we're lucky and John Legere is cloned and replaces each CEO with every carrier to then offer unlimited data it will happen. However, I'm going to lean towards never.

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
When will all major U.S phone carriers offer unlimited data for iPhone ?

I just got a call from Verizon begging me to upgrade and get off my unlimited data plan. Was told about many offers and trade in options. She said, "We can see you are taking full advantage of your data plan". Told them I live in the sticks will LTE coverage, of course I am going to eat through data. I also pay for tethering on top of it. They can try, but will not succeed! Bahahaha lol

So in short, we will never see unlimited plans again for Verizon and they are going to proactively try to get us to get off of the plan.

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
What are you talking about? There are so many Verizon UDP on eBay. Some are giving it away for free or nominal fee.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I just got a call from Verizon begging me to upgrade and get off my unlimited data plan. Was told about many offers and trade in options. She said, "We can see you are taking full advantage of your data plan". Told them I live in the sticks will LTE coverage, of course I am going to eat through data. I also pay for tethering on top of it. They can try, but will not succeed! Bahahaha lol

So in short, we will never see unlimited plans again for Verizon and they are going to proactively try to get us to get off of the plan.
curious what do they say to get you off your existing plan?

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
curious what do they say to get you off your existing plan?

NOTHING that will get any of us to budge. Just told me about trade in promotions I already knew about. Such as trading in a 5S and getting $300 and so on. Absolutely nothing that would get me to budge, especially when I live in the middle of nowhere with zero options for high speed internet besides a cellular provider. Pretty lame attempt in my mind.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
NOTHING that will get any of us to budge. Just told me about trade in promotions I already knew about. Such as trading in a 5S and getting $300 and so on. Absolutely nothing that would get me to budge, especially when I live in the middle of nowhere with zero options for high speed internet besides a cellular provider. Pretty lame attempt in my mind.
so essentially you could not get a subsidize phone without giving it up?

my carrier in Canada did that to me this year so I bought the phone unlocked

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
so essentially you could not get a subsidize phone without giving it up?

my carrier in Canada did that to me this year so I bought the phone unlocked

As far as I know now, especially with Verizon, you can't get a subsidized phone without losing your unlimited data. Now I will say there is a loophole, but that can easily be googled. I don't like to keep throwing it out there myself as I hope it stays open until my iPhone 6+ arrives.

slazareth

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2006
I think its still many years away. Never is just not a realistic answer. I'm sure if you asked people 10 years ago if unlimited minutes would ever be a thing, they'd have laughed at you. There will be some other thing that the companies can charge for in the future and data will be unlimited. But until they figure out the next thing to charge for, we're going to have to pay for data.