When will Amazon get the new iPad ... 3 iPad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by utah_boy2, Mar 9, 2012.

1. utah_boy2 macrumors regular

Just like the title says, when do you guys think Amazon will have the 3rd Generation iPad in stock?

I have 475 in Amazon gift card credit and I'd love to get the new 2012 iPad

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

No idea, I'm in the same boat, only I'm waiting for the Apple TV :D

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Amazon has never been an authorized iPad seller. Only third parties sell iPads on their site.

4. smitha96 macrumors regular

Okay, then I guess the question is:
    When will Amazon third party retailers begin to sell the new iPad?

5. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

I'd like to know this answer too. And also if third parties sell for retail price or more. I just mailed Amazon my iPad 1 as part of their trade-in program because they offered the highest price however I didn't realize that they don't directly sell iPad's. I have no worries purchasing from a third party seller as long as they have a good rep and have sold a lot of items already.

6. quandmeme macrumors member

I'm less patient than I thought. I have a thing about sales tax so I'm (telling myself I am) willing to wait a couple of weeks to save $50 in sales tax.
    I've looked through articles about the iPad 2 launch for when Amazon and MacMall types have inventory. I'm not seeing anything, anyone willing to comment on anything wider than Amazon?

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Third parties are A. Not authorized resellers which could leave you without a warranty and B. will often times charge more than retail initially when there is constraints on supply (remember they aren't held to a certain price since they aren't authorized to sell to begin with).

And as already stated, Amazon is not an authorized iPad retailer. Why would they want to sell a competing product to their "iPad killer" (aka the Kindle Fire).

8. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

You will, of course, still be paying your sales tax, right? You know, that sales tax that you're still legally required to pay.

You wouldn't be doing something as silly as announcing your intention to commit tax fraud, would you?

9. utah_boy2 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess "in stock" was the wrong term, I just mean available thru the Amazon marketplace. And I would have just done a pre-order with apple but I already have the gift cards on my account balance and I can only spend them on Amazon now.

I just thought someone on here could chime in with what they recalled from the last two iPad launches.

10. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Those things don't worry me too much. I just won't pay more than retail for an iPad.

Hopefully a third party seller with a long and solid track record will have the new iPad at retail pricing in the next 6 weeks.

11. theheadguy macrumors 65816

"A" is an extremely annoying myth that's been around too long. It's irritating to find that it's still being circulated. A genuine product carries a genuine warranty, period. I worked at Apple and nobody was authorized to refuse service because, through some interrogation, they found out you didn't originally buy it from an authorized reseller. What an irrational fear to stick in people's heads.

"B" - what's your point? If the price is too high, don't buy it. It's a simple answer to a ridiculous complaint.

Get over your obvious problem with Amazon. If you don't like it, don't shop there. No need to spread nonsense.

For myself and many others, we will be grabbing an iPad, tax free, with an Apple warranty, as soon as they are available from Amazon.

12. paulrbeers, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Whoa, why are you attacking me here?

A. Apple's own warranty states the above. While you may still do warranty work even if not bought from an authorized reseller, we are just pointing out that there is no guarantee if you got a manager or "genius" who wanted to uphold the "letter of the law". There are many other places to order iPads from that are Apple Resellers that you would get a full guaranteed warranty.

B. The OP wants to save tax so he wants to go to Amazon. That's fine and dandy, I'm just pointing out that the price of the iPad 3 will be higher on Amazon for awhile so if he wants to save money, Amazon is not the place to go to for the first few months since the prices have been historically higher for the iPad. As stated previously, there are many other places that you can get a guaranteed warranty and save the tax (i.e. macmall).

Lastly, I have nothing against Amazon. Heck I'm an Amazon Prime member. I even bought my 2011 Mac Mini from Amazon. I never said I had a problem with Amazon. I do have a problem with @$$hole's who clearly don't read the whole thead and make accusations that are completely unfounded, especially when the advice given is accurate.

13. theheadguy macrumors 65816

Not an attack bud- sorry you feel that way. By the way, where in the warranty does it say what you are alleging? To my knowledge, the most they can do is limit the support to the country it was originally sold in -- not outright refuse to support their product. If I'm wrong, please, show me.

14. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

FYI, they've hit Amazon it seems today via 3rd party resellers, however as was stated the prices are high right now.

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Amazon charges about 10%, so unless your tax is higher than 10%, you won't get it cheaper unless it's stolen.

Warranty: Apple doesn't care where you bought the iPad. The warranty is done using serial number and typically purchase date from official retailer.

16. utah_boy2 thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like $639 = 16gb wifi, $929 = 64gb wi-fi and $850 = 16 GB w/ 4G :eek:

17. liavman macrumors 6502

Because Amazon is a retailer and they are about making money. If Amazon shows any such inclinations of backwards thinking, I need to pull out of Amazon on many fronts.

I am in the same boat, with quite a few dollars of Amazon GC. Some ( or most ) third party sellers do take these GCs. But I would not pay more than retail.

18. Burro99 macrumors member

I was afraid apple'd cancel my ipad preorder when they saw I'm having it delivered to me at work on the amazon south lake union campus. :eek:

They did not.

19. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Do you have a link? I can not find one as of now.

20. utah_boy2 thread starter macrumors regular

Here

21. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

22. rjbruce macrumors regular

That almost makes me want to post mine, order, and wait for another...almost...

23. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

If this is true then this kinda sucks for me. I sold Amazon my first gen iPad with plans on using the credit for a new iPad. (Yes I know Amazon itself is not an authorized reseller of iPad's.)

It's not a total loss because I will always have a use and need for Amazon credit, but this is still slightly annoying. And yes, I too would NEVER pay more than retail for pretty much anything. That's crazy.