when will an 8 core model come?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wonderbread57, Aug 19, 2012.

1. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

I do a lot of analytics on my hardware and use MATLAB's parallel toolbox to run up to 8 processors simultaneously. I have some research money to buy a new laptop and am wondering if an 8 core model (haswell?) is around the corner.

Thanks

2. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

3. wonderbread57 thread starter macrumors 6502

I would imagine sooner than 2 years. Might the new Haswell architecture have an 8 core version that apple picks up? The small processes should mean it can run cooler, at least at the same clock.

4. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Smaller processors usually mean less power is required. So they would be slightly cooler. But still, I don't see it for at least 3 years. At this point if you have that much power required, buy a Mac pro

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I agree, 3 years sounds quite right. Certainly don't expect it before 2.

6. PAPO macrumors 6502

we may see 8 core desktop chips next year, but even 6 core laptop chips won't be around until after that

7. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I imagine the iMac will get it first, then the MacBook Pro would follow suit a year or so later.

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Buy a desktop.
    Intel wants to make thinner notebooks. I suspect they will even phase out 45/55W and have 35 at the top.
    4 cores will be the max for a while.
    You want speed by a Mac Pro.
    You want to save money and max CPU speed. Build a PC or Hackintosh.
    A Dual Socket Motherboard isn't that expensive and the CPUs are neither.
    When new CPUs come around you only need to switch out the chips and maybe the mainboard if they change the sockel. Though 2011 should be enough might be they finally stick with it for a while.

For a rather insane price you can already build yourself some 16 core 32 threads workstation. Based on Sandybridge EP.
    Those blow away the old stuff that they still sell in the Mac Pro.
    More reasonable it would be though to stick with two about 2-300$ CPUs in the reasonable price range but exchange them more frequently.
    Since you can keep using most of the PC you would need to shed out 5000$ for some comparably fast Mac Pro but only like a 1000$. You don't even need to wait for updates from Apple.

If I really needed speed I would do that.
    Assembly of such a thing is not all that expensive and not really hard. Plug usually don't go in on any place where they aren't supposed to be. It is really rather simple 13 year olds manage.

9. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

To me, it feels like Hexa core would come out first

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The more cores we see on the mobile platform, the faster we'll see the desktop whither and die.

3 plus years for a hexa core MBP is my guess.