When will app store include apps for apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by topp3, Nov 24, 2013.

1. topp3 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and my question may already being discussed previously, however if I don't ask, I don't get the answers.

So what are the perspective for downloading apps for apple tv?

I miss apps from a lot of other content providers than the few american ones Apple have chosen for us a this time.

br

John

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

They'll definitely be announced at the next apple event.
    (Come back for the same answer after the next event if they aren't announced)

Every time there's an event there's rumors that they will be announced.
    No one knows outside of apple.

3. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Not even Apple knows. At this point I think they are working on 1 content deal at a time. Very frustrating for us and probably Apple as well.

4. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

I don't think its as simple as most people think. Apart from Apple wanting complete control, and the financial rewards, from brokering the content deals themselves it's probably not viable with the current hardware. It would need more ram, faster processor and more storage for apps. To support a large app ecosystem that they would be happy with anyway. At the moment Apple code the apps and they are very simple, if people want games and such like it will be hard for apple to produce a device capable for under $99. But I hope I'm wrong, there is so much potential.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'd be happy if they would just allow amazon instant video...

6. Jeremy.Black macrumors newbie

Apps for Apple TV

I'd also be happy with that change and even more happy to see a native Plex app. I really want to start building apps for the AppleTV and think that they could really do a lot with even the current hardware if it was open to developers.

I wrote about this and how Apple could really benefit from getting this out now in a blog post here - http://www.blackfrogguitars.com/?p=290

7. Darien Red Sox macrumors regular

Now that they have PBS, give me BYU TV and I would be happy to cut the cord. EWTN and ISPN would also be nice to see. With these all I would need to do is scribe to Hulu Plus.

8. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The Apple TV, as we now know it, will never get "apps" as we now know them.
    Even the existing apps aren't really apps. They're just URLs to other providers' servers.

9. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Just say NO to religious channels on the :apple:TV