When will Apple abandon the headphone jack?

2IS

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
Just want to start of by saying it's not something I want them to do, but I was just thinking... There are two things Apple is seemingly obsessed with. Making devices thinner, and plugging up as many holes as possible. Can't help but think that's the next thing to go on iPhone and we will be limited to either lightening capable headphones or Bluetooth. Thoughts?

EDIT: ugh, misspelled abandon and headphone in title. :(

Ethos Evoss

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2013
Earth
Just want to start of by saying it's not something I want them to do, but I was just thinking... There are two things Apple is seemingly obsessed with. Making devices thinner, and plugging up as many holes as possible. Can't help but think that's the next thing to go on iPhone and we will be limited to either lightening capable headphones or Bluetooth. Thoughts?

EDIT: ugh, misspelled abandon and headphone in title. :(
u must be sickly joking right ? u really have nothing to do just cry why apple has 3.5mm jack??
here is 4.75mm thick smartphone with normal 3.5mm HP jack perfectly fitted ...
What the hell u been thinking man ?

Comment

Ethos Evoss

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2013
Earth
Sounds fine when you are running and never have any problems with it draining my battery. Maybe you should get yours checked out;)
I use Koss Porta Pro HPs and am very happy wit them .. I can't have earphones as they falling of from mine ears :p

Comment

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I think you may be right, the headphone port is the limiting factor now in making devices thinner. However... there comes a point where the device is thin enough, and the focus switches to extending battery life. I think we hit that point when iOS 9 was announced at WWDC.

Comment

rockitdog

macrumors 68020
Mar 25, 2013
I think you may be right, the headphone port is the limiting factor now in making devices thinner. However... there comes a point where the device is thin enough, and the focus switches to extending battery life. I think we hit that point when iOS 9 was announced at WWDC.
I really don't want my phone any thinner. So we could then have more camera lens sticking out? No Thanks.

Comment

Rayy42

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
I can't remember the last time I used wired headphones since I use the Beats Studio Wireless headphones for working out and travel and I use my LG Tone Ultra headphones for the office and conference calls. I think sound quality is excellent and don't have any issues with battery life in regards to that.

Reactions: Newtons Apple
Comment

Rayy42

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
With that being said though, my apple devices are plenty thin. I don't want any more issues with reduced battery life in place of thinness.

Comment

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I can't remember the last time I used wired headphones since I use the Beats Studio Wireless headphones for working out and travel and I use my LG Tone Ultra headphones for the office and conference calls. I think sound quality is excellent and don't have any issues with battery life in regards to that.
Love the Studio Wireless headphones. Use them daily. Even use them to mow the lawn. The sound is outstanding and the ability of these being able to cancel outside noises while mowing the lawn is really a plus. The battery in these headphones last a good while before needing recharging.

I might look a little over "teched" while walking around the neighborhood but the quiet they produce in noisy environments is well worth wearing them!

Comment

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Been using the LG Tone bluetooth headset. Works great, battery life is still great. Bluetooth is always on with my 6 Plus.

Comment

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
Well seems like I'm missing out as I only use the wired apple headphones with my 6.:D
I agree it can get in the way a little when running or working out but not to the point where I needed to seek wireless options although the thought of it does sound worthy but I've always figured battery life would be put under major strain:eek: hmm i"ll look into some of the ones mentioned in this thread.

Comment

Smithwicks

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2011
Just picked up a pair of Sony MDR1-ABT. Incredible pair of BT headphones (although they should be at over $300) ;)

Reactions: bhayes444
Comment

Rayy42

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
Love the Studio Wireless headphones. Use them daily. Even use them to mow the lawn. The sound is outstanding and the ability of these being able to cancel outside noises while mowing the lawn is really a plus. The battery in these headphones last a good while before needing recharging.

I might look a little over "teched" while walking around the neighborhood but the quiet they produce in noisy environments is well worth wearing them!
Best headphones I've ever owned. Beats has come a long way.

Comment

Abazigal

macrumors G5
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Comment

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
listening music over bluetooth is really bad quality + drains batt. a LOT.
+1. for an audiophile (which i am not claiming to be) it's like night and day difference in sound quality. i myself is using a wired sennheiser headphone as oppose to my bluetooth headphone. i am just a normal listener yet i can tell the difference.

Reactions: phrehdd
Comment

Ethos Evoss

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2013
Earth
+1. for an audiophile (which i am not claiming to be) it's like night and day difference in sound quality. i myself is using a wired sennheiser headphone as oppose to my bluetooth headphone. i am just a normal listener yet i can tell the difference.
heh thnx
am kind of audiophile but not mega anymore ..
but,
If u see that android phone youtube vid above, it sports very high-quality audio chips type ;
*Yamaha YSS 205-X
*ESS 9018 DAC
*Sabre ES9601
*Texas Instruments OPA1612
Having rich of high precision audio options along with these yamaha headphones ....
http://www.cnet.com/products/yamaha-pro-500/
Nothing is better on this planet ... for portable music player !

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.