Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The 35th annual Worldwide Developers Conference isn't set to take place until June, but we are creeping closer to the general time when Apple tends to announce the dates for its developer event.

WWDC24-Header.jpg

Apple could make its first WWDC event date announcement in less than two weeks at the end of March or the beginning of April. Here are Apple's past WWDC announcement dates:
  • 2023 - Wednesday, March 29
  • 2022 - Tuesday, April 5
  • 2021 - Tuesday, March 30
  • 2020 - Friday, March 13
  • 2019 - Thursday, March 14
  • 2018 - Tuesday, March 13
  • 2017 - Thursday, February 16
  • 2016 - Monday, April 18
  • 2015 - Tuesday, April 14
  • 2014 - Thursday, April 3
Given these dates, we could see a WWDC announcement from Apple anytime from Tuesday, March 26 to Friday, March 29, though Apple might also hold the announcement until the next week, unveiling dates on Tuesday, April 2.

WWDC Date Possibilities

For the last several years, Apple held WWDC during the first week of June, and that's also the most likely target date this year.

June 3 to June 7 would make the most sense based on past WWDC events, though June 10 to June 14 is also possible. Past WWDC dates:
  • 2023 - June 5 to June 9
  • 2022 - June 6 to June 10
  • 2021 - June 7 to June 11
  • 2020 - June 22 to June 26
  • 2019 - June 3 to June 7
  • 2018 - June 4 to June 8
  • 2017 - June 5 to June 9
  • 2016 - June 12 to June 17
  • 2015 - June 8 to June 12
  • 2014 - June 2 to June 6
WWDC Software Announcements

Apple will unveil iOS 18, iPadOS 18, macOS 15, watchOS 11, tvOS 18, HomePod Software 18, and visionOS 2 at WWDC this year, and the updates will be provided to developers directly after the keynote event.

Betas will be limited to developers for the first month or so, but if Apple follows tradition, the software will be made available through public betas in July 2024.

iOS 18 is the only update that we've heard much about, and Apple is said to be focusing heavily on artificial intelligence this year. There will be new AI additions across the OS, and Bloomberg's Mark Gurman believes it could be one of the biggest updates we've seen to the iPhone in years. All of the rumors about what's coming in iOS 18 can be found in our roundup.

Possible Hardware Announcements at WWDC

There are no rumors yet that Apple will introduce new hardware, but we are waiting on refreshes for several Macs. Apple has yet to update the Mac Studio, Mac mini, or Mac Pro with M3 chips, so there is a possibility that some of these new Macs will see a debut at WWDC.

Read More

We have a dedicated WWDC 2024 roundup that will be updated on a regular basis as we learn more about what to expect from this year's developer event.

Article Link: When Will Apple Announce WWDC 2024 Dates?

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
Possible Hardware Announcements at WWDC

There are no rumors yet that Apple will introduce new hardware, but we are waiting on refreshes for several Macs. Apple has yet to update the Mac Studio, Mac mini, or Mac Pro with M3 chips, so there is a possibility that some of these new Macs will see a debut at WWDC.
Release date & age of Apple devices by WWDC 2024 in June.

Macs

- Aug 2020 iMac 27" Intel.... 46 months*
- Jan 2023 Mac mini M2.... 18 months
- Jun 2023 Mac Studio M2 Max/Ultra.... 12 months
- Jun 2023 Mac Pro M2 Ultra.... 12 months

iPad

- Sep 2021 iPad mini.... 33 months
- Mar 2022 iPad Air.... 27 months
- Oct 2022 iPad... 20 months
- Oct 2022 iPad Pro... 20 months

*Apple claims that since 2010 typical Mac replacement has lengthened to every 4 years.

*Bigger iMac was not released likely because 32" 6K display parts is too expensive to hit $1799-1999 big iMac price points.

Among the above hardware these are my priority replacements to a 3nm Mac.

- 2012 iMac 27" 2.5K 22nm as it turned 11 last month
- 2018 iPad Pro 11" 7nm as my subordinate needs a replacement for her iOS 12.5.7-limited iPad.

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
iOS 18 is the only update that we've heard much about, and Apple is said to be focusing heavily on artificial intelligence this year. There will be new AI additions across the OS, and Bloomberg's Mark Gurman believes it could be one of the biggest updates we've seen to the iPhone in years.
This AI spin is useless without iOS underlying improvements. It's not like Apple is implementing like AI front and center over everything else. Instead they will likely implement AI assisting the user derive additional information from the cloud/web then compositions from text prompts.

Reactions: CarAnalogy

GrayFlannel

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2024
I hope there will soon be an announcement of the announcement date. Maybe after the announcement of the date when the announcement of the launch date for the new iPads will take place.

That sounds sorta like providing a status of your status report. My current status is 30% complete on preparing a status of my status report.

Reactions: aParkerMusic

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I hope there will soon be an announcement of the announcement date. Maybe after the announcement of the date when the announcement of the launch date for the new iPads will take place.

Personally, and it may be more than just me, I think we're desperate for some news of Apple actually doing something with a broad appeal. Lately it's all Vision OS this and EU regulation that.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
This AI spin is useless without iOS underlying improvements. It's not like Apple is implementing like AI front and center over everything else. Instead they will likely implement AI assisting the user derive additional information from the cloud/web then compositions from text prompts.

This is what drives me crazy. There has been so much low hanging fruit for so many years. Things other operating systems nailed decades ago. Leftover interfaces. Still a very basic phone app. Still can't just put an icon where I want it and have it stay right there.

AI is nice but for gods sakes someone work on basic features again.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Will Apple do anything at all to try to make amends with developers?

Presumably not. They have their heads shoved so far up their own behinds that they're oblivious to it. The reason they can't ship decent products anymore is because they can't hire good developers or engineers anymore. They've burned potential employees so badly via their App Stores that there's no interest in the prospect of working at Apple.

There's been a lot of stories about how hard a time Apple has been having hiring AI people, but that's way too specific. It's really across the company that Apple can't recruit anyone halfway decent.

M3Stang

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2015
I'd love to see some GPTK updates bring more compatibility to windows games. We haven't seen an update since November. Now that its included in Crossover and Whiskey it would be nice if it kept rolling out updates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Verified Whiskey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.