iPhone 6(+) When will apple drop support for the 6s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raymanh, May 16, 2018.

1. raymanh macrumors member

I'm looking to upgrade my 5c to either a 6s or 7. I plan to keep it for a few years. If it's likely that the iPhone 6s will no longer support the latest iOS's within the next year or two, then I'll get the 7.

What's you thoughts on how long the 6s will be able to run the latest iOS? I appreciate this may be quite speculative, but also I do not know the iOS upgrade cycles so am not sure.

Thanks

2. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Well if Apple follow the same trend the 5S is still supported and rumoured to be ok iOS 12 too! That was released 2013!

3. Christoffee macrumors 6502

Christoffee

My thought is that RAM is a problem for updates. The iPhones 6 in the wild I see are dogs (1GB of RAM), but the iPhones 6S (like mine) still seem great (2GB of RAM).

The iPhone 8 also has 2GB.

My theory is that in terms of iOS updates the 6S has a few years left in it. It performs great on iOS11 and I am hopeful that it’ll be great on iOS12 too, especially as Apple are concentrating on performance and reliability at the moment.

4. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

Actually do you really want Apple's "support" on a close to 3 year old hardware now? If Apple's past is to go by, it may just frustrate you to spend money to upgrade to their latest hardware.

5. JPack macrumors 68020

JPack

Apple has historically dropped support for old iPhone models based on the Application Processor.

In this case, the iPhone 6s has an A9 from 2015. Typically, Apple supports major iOS updates for 4 years. So you can expect iPhone 6s to support up to iOS 13.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I know I’m not answering all your questions, but I think you would be rather foolish to upgrade to the 6S and _not_ the 7. That Would also eliminate the issue of you worrying about how long the 6S would be supported for. The iPhone 7 is just a better phone with extended battery life, water resistance, stereo speakers, A10 Fusion Processor, etc.

7. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I’d go 7 if you can. Apple released a new iPad in March with the A10 Fusion chip (same as the 7) so it would be a safer upgrade if you’re looking to keep it a few years.

8. raymanh thread starter macrumors member

That makes sense. If they're releasing new products with the same chip as the iPhone 7, then the 7 will surely last a while. I'm surprised the new iPads aren't using the A11 chip in the 8 and X. Strange to sell a older phone with more power than a newer tablet.

Thanks for all the replies. I think a 7 is the way to go. From looking at geekbench it's also 42% faster than the 6S, whereas the 8 is only 27% faster than the 7. Seems like the 7 is the best value right now to buy used.

9. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

That would be my thought as well with the iPad releasing with an A10 chip.

If you buy used I would recommend taking advantage of the $29 battery replacement before the end of the year.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/12/30/apple-29-usd-iphone-battery-replacements-now-avail/

10. mjschabow macrumors 68000

Hopefully not for a while. The 6s Plus is probably my favorite Apple device. It still runs smooth!

11. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I would expect that Apple would support it for about 2 years after it stops selling them. So assuming they discontinue them (and the SE) in Sep18 AND iOS 12 releases at the same time ... I would say that the 6S would be compatible up to iOS14, but likely without all of the new hardware dependent features.

Also, in regards to the question of 6S vs 7, I would go with the 7, unless you absolutely need the headphone jack.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Technically, the 2017 iPad Pros are using the A10X Processor, but the iPhone 8/X is using the A11 processor, which released after the fact of the iPad Pros in June 2017. The A-10 fusion processor is being used in the entry level budget 208 iPad, because Apple likely doesn’t need to include such the A11 Bionic processor for an iPad that will be used for more basic measures and the educational sector.

13. aakshey macrumors 6502a

aakshey

iOS 14 or iOS 15 will drop support for the 6s.

However, the 6s will run like junk on iOS 13. And so will iPhone 7. iOS 12 might be okay though if Apple goes for their so called performance boost iOS update which too will be slower than iOS 11 but might be tolerable. The same can be said about iPhone 7.

iPhone 8/X might be okay on iOS 13. Too early to say. Should be tolerable but may not be too fast. Or may even be decent. But iOS 14 is certainly not going to be acceptable on any current iPhone.

An iPad with the same chip as an iPhone is likely going to last an additional 12 months or so in terms of tolerable performance. Even though final support for any iDevice depends on the chip and ends at the same time regardless of the type of iDevice.

14. tonybarnaby macrumors 6502a

7 or even 8. Over the course of 3 years, a 7/8 won’t be that much more. Literally a few dollars per month. I’d get the 8 if you can swing it, followed by the 7. The difference in price between the 6s and the 7 is not worth cheating out on the 6s to save a few bucks.

15. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Budget and price are big factors here. If you're on a tight budget the older hardware can be substantially cheaper. And 6s and newer is still great hardware. If pure not on a tight budget get one of the newer ones.