When will Apple iMacs ship with Leopard (preinstalled)?!?!??!?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brn2ski00, Oct 19, 2007.

1. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

2. unity macrumors 6502a

3. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Darn! I cannot wait much longer, I sold my Intel iMac almost 3 weeks ago in order to buy the new iMac. What should I do? Buy the new one today and then just upgrade?

4. unity macrumors 6502a

If you can, wait a week after release (26th) and order it from the Apple online store. To increase odds, custom config it then you are less likely to get a "boxed" one from the warehouse. Thats what I plan on doing. And if it does not have Leopard, I will just order it. I need a new Mac more than I want Leopard.

5. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Pending it doesn't have leopard preinstalled, will you just purchase the upgrade for $10 or buy the full version? Why can't they just have the iMacs ready?!?!?!

6. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Is it that big a deal to pop in the intall DVD and either upgrade or do a fresh install. It isn't rocket science.
    As stated MANY times on this forum all versions of Leopard are full versions, which includes
    *Upgrade
    *Archieve and Install
    *Erase and Install

This isnt like dealing with Windows, there is little advantage to having it preinstalled other than saving a little bit of time

7. unity macrumors 6502a

Boxed! But just because I like to have a matching set. I have all the releases :) They may not ship with 10.5 because they need to clear stock and it takes time to modify the drive images and get sufficient imaged drives into production.

8. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Are you sure? After reading Apple's site and the post about Leopard's release date, it seems to me that if don't pay $129 you don't get the full copy -- just the upgrade version.

Is this not the case? I hope its not, because I will just go ahead and get my iMac today.

9. unity macrumors 6502a

Up to date is not an upgrade program, its an "up-to-date" program. I am not sure why the word "upgrade" is thrown around so much. You will get a full copy, it just will not be in a retail box and may require 10.4 to be installed first but you can still install a "clean" copy that will not recycle and parts of 10.4.

10. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Yes, the site is confusing at times. Then I will take your word for it, go get a iMac today and utilize the "up-to-date" program on 10/26.

11. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

That's my plan, too! I chatted with one of the people on the Internet and he said that it would take about 5 minutes to install in the factory. He figured it would be pretty soon after the release. It makes sense to me.