When will apple improve the dialer?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Rooster411, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Rooster411 macrumors member

Love most everything about my iPhone and the iOS system, yet I absolutely hate the dialer/phone app. I had an HTC phone that had the smart dial feature. Hands down a much faster way to dial up any of your contacts.
    Spotlight search is not a completely terrible way to do it, but it is not even close to the smart dial system.
    Have tried 3rd party apps and they are clunky and poor attempts.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Are you taking about something like this?

http://mysterioustrousers.com/dialvetica/
    (This finds anyone in your contacts when you type either their initials or the first two letters of their name)

I used that for a year and did like it, but eventually found that I kept using my plain old phone's 'favorites' list and Siri more and more. Between those 2 things Dialvetica slowly became more and more ignored on my phone.

So I can't say I'm surprised that Apple's uninterested in it. Even after using it for a year I couldn't bring myself to stay enthusiastic about it.

3. Rooster411 thread starter macrumors member

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d9vVxuFGGZw&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dd9vVxuFGGZw

No.... Like this.
    Much simpler.

----------

And HTC has it built in to the ecosystem. It's not like every clunky dialer app that is a cross breed between their app and the iOS dialer.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, that's exactly what Dialvetica did. (But with just names, it didn't do the number search.)

If you like that I suggest trying it.

(Give it a few days. It starts to learn who you call the most and arranges the list accordingly. So its results get even better after a week of use.)

Not sure what you mean there. I replaced the phone app on my dock with Dialvetica for a year. It worked fine like that.

5. Rooster411 thread starter macrumors member

Just difference of opinion. As I said, love my iPhone. Just think that it has the worst dialer set up there is. Many I have spoken to who have gone from HTC to iPhones have expressed the same frustration with the dialer set up.
    HTC setup is much better than any app you can find in the App Store. And much faster and cleaner.
    Have a good evening.

----------

And the number pad is a much larger target to hit. Less chance of a typing error.
    Also, when you open the HTC phone app, the dialer is immediately present. Always. You do not have to choose between recents, dialer, favorites, contacts. You hit the phone icon, then two or three numbers, then name and voila, you're calling your contact.