When will Apple increase max SSD beyond 512 GB for the Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by HarryWarden, Jul 5, 2014.

1. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

I'd like to see either 768 or 1 TB become an option sooner rather than later but when do you think Apple will do it?

2. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

3. HarryWarden thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have the 2013 MBA with the 512 (Actually, 500 GB of usable space) SSD from the refurb store. I'm hoping for an option with even more space becomes available when I'm ready to upgrade.

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Although there are users who want more than 512 storage or more than 8gb of ram, my opinion is Apple will keep these as max options on the Air to keep a separation between the Air and Pro line.

I think their mentality is, anyone who needs that kind of storage or power will need a pro machine. I could be wrong and I don't necessarily agree but it's my feeling. I think anyone who is willing to pay should be able to get anything they want built into their machine.

5. Bah-Bah macrumors member

I'd love to see a 1TB SSD option. 1TB gives you some serious options in terms of boot camp and Linux partitions not to mention bags of space for files.

But I also doubt Apple will be too keen to offer it. Apple want you to keep all your stuff on their iCloud servers and to pay for the privilege.

6. Ronnoco, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014

Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I think your logic is correct, but as the prices of flash storage continue to drop (and or newer mass storage technologies develop) we'll see them passed down to the Air (or whatever they will call the ultra thin portable line in the future). I do agree that the Pro line (or again, whatever name differentiater they will use to separate the models if they indeed keep two lines of portable FULL OSX computers) will always have the bigger storage options though.

Just to add, I'd have gone with the 768 had it been available to me as an option on my 2013 MBA as not only is this a portable for me but it is also my main computer right now when at my home office connected to my ACD. I am well aware I can use USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt external mass storage, but I perfer having as big a local storage as I can on my machine.

7. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

In my not so humble opinion, of course they will. Prices come down, components become widely available, and why wouldn't they?

8. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I think they will offer bigger disks in the future. In 2011 the largest available was 256 but the MBP had 512 I think. One of the reasons I upgraded from the 2011 to the 2013 MBA was the 512gb disk (and 8gb of RAM which also was not available on the MBA in 2011).

The MBA is also my primary computer. It's funny - I probably would have gotten a 768 or 1TB SSD when I purchased my MBA last summer, but my opinion has changed. One reason I wanted a big SSD was my growing iTunes Library. But it grew too big for the 512gb SSD, so I ended up getting a Mac Mini for an iTunes server. This freed up a LOT of space on the SSD, and I even copied a bunch of archived old files back to the MBA, but I still have over 200 gb free.

Today, I would not pay the premium to purchase more than a 512gb SSD, my machine (11" i7/8gb/512gb) already cost more than $1700.

9. iizmoo macrumors 6502

Can used SD slot to add a further 256GB at great cost, or 128GB for about $75. A lot slower, but it work. Not a bad place to stick old photos or musics.

10. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider