When will apple introduce 3G into their laptops

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shujin88, Aug 22, 2009.

1. shujin88 macrumors newbie

I take my MBP almost everywhere i go. Just thinking to myself how convenient 3G internet would be to have when i dont have a wifi connection. I understand its not something everyone would want but could possibly be an upgrade for those who do.

2. gjw4u macrumors 6502

Why not get a 3G USB stick? They seam to do the trick.

3. shujin88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that is an option but, maybe it's just me but i dont like things sticking out of my macbook, weird right. It also ruins the clean lines of the mac lol. Maybe soon they'll release a SD card with a 3G modem, i wouldn't mind that and its small.

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

if you have an iphone, you can tether through bluetooth, assuming your provider allows it

5. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't want to pay for a data plan for my laptop as well. The tethering idea is the best. Besides, I usually have my out and ready to take calls whenever i'm working on the go.

I guess built in 3gs would be cool though.

6. Halon X macrumors regular

I'd much rather use a Sprint or Verizon Mifi or USB broadband card and be able to use it with multiple machines than have things tied to a single machine.

I recently upgraded my USB broadband stick to a Mifi and will never go back. It's small (size of a thick credit card) and connect 5 machines at once.

7. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

I have a Sprint MiFi 2200, and let me say, it's AWESOME, I love it, plus I can connect other devices to share the wireless, and it's definitely plenty fast! I can't recommend it enough!

Andrew

8. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I ahd a verizon 3G card in my xps.
    It was weird how integrated it became into my life. I wouldn't think about throwing the lid up on the xps and sitting down somewhere surfing the web and doing some work.
    Now I just tetha

9. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

A 3g module with an unlocked sim port and worldwide support would be great. But given the price of those usb 3g modems, it's quite an expensive feature to add. of course it could be optional...

10. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I think it's largely due to contracting issues. I don't think Apple want to be tied into contracts for mobile broadband plans.

Their notebooks are already rather largely squashed together, doubt theres much room in there for a 3G card, especially with the enclosure being aluminum, the signal would just... suck quite frankly.

And TBH IMO, when sites like dell have the setting "Yeh yeh yeh get this super awesome speedy mobile broadband trial, just pay $99.95 upfront and sign a 36 month contract.." looks sort of... dirty. I think it would ruin Apple's reputation.

11. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

12. shujin88 thread starter macrumors newbie

We dont have the mifi yet here in Australia, but that would be cool, better if it connected via bluetooth so you can keep it in your pocket or bag.

I agree with the contract based data plans but you can always do prepaid.

The tethering sounds perfect, another reason for me to get an iphone:D.

The price of these prepaid usb modems have come down recently, they all hover around 129AUD, if the option for a 3G inbuilt was 100-300AUD i would definitely get it especially if it allowed worldwide access.