When will Apple kill off the iPad mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Noble Actual, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

By kill off, I don't necessary mean stop making the product but essential but it out of the equation similar to the iPod touch. Still being made and updated but only a few years.

I noticed when Apple showed the pricing of all the iPads, it was pretty embarrassing to see iPad mini 2 and iPad mini 4. Its like Apple themselves have a hard time keeping track of their iPads and what to call them.

First it was numbers, then they just added new, then they did put brackets around the generation, and now they're going back to numbers.

They literally mentioned the iPad mini for like 5 seconds by saying they just updated it to last year iPad Air 2 specs.

2. Che Castro macrumors 603

They killed the iPad mini last year by only giving it touch id

And this year they use last years tech

I bet none of them use the iPad mini , Tim cook and them

3. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

You kidding? I will totally buy an iPad Mini 4! Huge upgrade over my current iPad Mini 1! I love the smaller size that makes for a perfect Netflix in bed screen and a portable but usable device between my iPhone and MacBook Pro.

4. unobtainium macrumors 68000

They aren't "killing" any of the iPads. They are reducing the frequency of upgrades because they have clued in that nobody upgrades their tablet every year. The Air will see a nice upgrade in 2016, and the mini will get those same upgrades in 2017. And in 2018, they'll go back to the Air, and so on... Mark my words.

Their iDevice teams are stretched thin and this is their solution, imo.

5. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Seems that way, every other year with the mini a bit behind.

6. ElectronGuru, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015

ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

People aren't willing to spend the same for smaller models
    Smaller models with the same tech don't cost that much less to make
    Apple can't charge the same for new tech, so we get old tech
    Annual old is NOT the same as relegated status of the touch

The value of the format isn't going away. It's just a question of upgrade cycles.
    Even the 4 isn't much better than my 2 (which was current), so the 5 looks good.
    I'd jump for touchID + memory + multitask + stylus, in a heart beat!