When will Apple open up the watch to third party faces?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by tresmith, Mar 28, 2018.

1. tresmith macrumors 6502

I'm sure this has been asked before. This seems like a no brainer. Don't know what's the hold up.

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

JFC.

[looks at calendar again]

Am I stuck at October 2014? WTF.

Yeah no **** this has been asked before.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2018 ---
    What's Tim Cook's email address again? Something like tcook@apple.com? What's his answer?

You think WE know the answer? pffff....... hahahahahahahahaha

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

No one truly knows the answer to this question. It’s Apple likely just having control over specifics with the Apple Watch.

However, These are Just two of the threads I could find, but there are a lot more than this:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/when-will-apple-let-us-use-third-party-watch-faces.1974910/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/third-party-watch-faces.1849361/

4. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

There's no need. Apple offers literally every possibly combination & customisation to the face that anyone could ever want.

5. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

I disagree completely tbh. I like to change the face of my watch, I get bored of it, and I like having one I haven't used in ages. plus there are some where id like something like that but with more complications, for example.

also, even though I'm a 45 year old adult, I quite like the mickey mouse and toy story ones, they make me laugh. apple could make good money by either charging for more of these through the app store, or charging companies for having them as entertainment.

6. Luigi3 macrumors regular

Never gonna happen, at least in terms of full creator for devs. Watchface is too easy to mess up, to make battery drainage, and keeping stable 60 fps.
    And Apple has some exclusives, such as Hermes and Nike. With full creator devs could make watchface clones without buying special editions.

7. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

I guess though theres lots of possible situations.

what about apple themselves selling new watch faces like they do/did with ringtones ?

8. tresmith thread starter macrumors 6502

Not

9. Der Keyser macrumors regular

Der Keyser

Yeah, sadly this is the case. It will never happen

10. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I think you dropped this: /s

11. decypher44 macrumors 6502

decypher44

lol

12. NeilHD macrumors regular

That's the one thing I miss from my Pebble - if I ever fancied a change there were hundreds of different faces available.

13. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

This should have been done after Apple Watch 0. The processing power is there, new battery life is also there. The problem is, people will use copyrighted materials and upload them to a "store" causing Apple to reject after the fact if any are missed. And since that does happen with apps a lot, they don't want the headache. But they really should allow a watch face to be customized by the end user but cannot be shared with others. I should be able to put a background on any screen instead of all black.. what is this?? the original iphone where no wallpapers were allowed? That's exactly what is happening here. Apple just doesn't want the headache. It's sad because for a device they claim is their most personal.. the only thing you can really customize are the bands... for $50.00 and up.

14. thewiccaman macrumors member

thewiccaman

15. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard