When will Apple "open up"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Don't they understand that if they were a bit more open they'd wipe everyone away?

No flash is fine, but why block applications like Camera+ that add some nice functionality.

There might also never be Firefox on the iPhone, while Android has it and it's really great with extensions and syncs with the PC.

If only Apple were more open about things...

2. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

they're already wiping quite nicely, thank you very much

3. infowarfare macrumors 6502

And don't you understand that because they are NOT more "open" they have a better, more elegant user experience... and it is exactly because of this that they are already "wiping everyone away." Where have you been? :rolleyes:

I'd much rather have Apple's closed but more stable system than the fractured "openness" of Android's system. This has already been argued to death, but one more time, here is just a small example of what you get with Android's openness, just look at the randomness of the placement of buttons on these Android devices:[​IMG]

Not a consistent user experience at all. And the software is even worse (when you have 80 different models of hardware with different specs and several versions of the Android OS.)

But with Apple you get a consistent experience. Also, everyone said that with Android's openness, you'd get more apps... so far that hasn't happened. There are WAY more apps on the iPhone (because developers, for the most part, love developing for this platform and make more money off of it) and more quality apps as well (and less apps that can infiltrate/do damage) than for Android... so no, I like the closed system. It works for me, and it's working spectacularly well for Apple!

4. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

You have to hand it to Apple's philosophy with the iPhone. They have absolute control over it and it's a better product because of that control.

This is why Android devices can't achieve that last 10% of perfection that would cause Steve Jobs to start paying more attention to the competition.

5. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I like the closeness however what about flash?

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

With the iPhone selling as well as it is, there really isn't much incentive for Apple to "open up." Even then, Apple believes that their total control gives the end user a better experience. And I happen to agree with them in that regard.

7. daneoni, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

It's overrated.

8. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Apple do seem to be slowly opening up though.

9. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Camera+ isn't blocked, it's 99 cents.

So, we're all "open" now.

10. thetexan macrumors 6502a

All Apple has to do to win me back is to allow applications to be installed outside of iTunes. Make it an opt-in deal like Android and I'm back to an iPhone. Oh no AT&T again.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, Android is like that so, if your theory is correct, they'll soon "wipe everyone away."

So what's the problem? If that's what you think, Android will soon win and you'll have what you want.

12. deeesea macrumors 6502

lololol apple open up? nah B. That's not happening. Not till Steve Douchebag Jobs is replaced.

13. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

Apple may be closed, but you do get a consistent user experience. There is nowhere near the amount of issues with games not working or running like crap compared to the splintered android market. Apps invariably come out on the iPhone first and hence are more optimised.

If Apple had flash, then there would not be a single reason that made Android and its "running out of memory, or my battery died cause of too many apps open" operating system.

Jobs did get multitasking right, I just hope he finally sees the light with Flash.

14. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

it's fine for me, just the way it is. If you need Firefox on your phone, get Android.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Ignorant comments like these crack me up. I love how people think Apple, a company with annual sales north of $50 billion, operates on Jobs' whim.

16. sk4prez2020 macrumors member

sk4prez2020

Why should they open up?

Apple is on top of the world right now. You people already speculate so much on what you THINK will happen, that it gives them free publicity, word of mouth. Why spend money on press conferences and all that gab when you fools will give them all the promo they need for free?

Want a company that talks more than works, start buying Microsoft or Blackberry. Apple is an actions speak louder than words company!

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont care if they open up or not. As long as there's a jailbreak available I can have as much "openness" and controll as I want.

18. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Here that Dev team? Let's get moving! lol

19. brandon.8602 macrumors member

Apples success in terms of the iPhone has been (to so many peoples "distaste") because of their lack of being open. If the app store had no regulation there would be 10 times as many fart apps as there already are. (and we could all use more of those ;) )

20. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

but but but Android going to catch up to iOS in Apps... It took Android 24 months to get to 100k apps it took iOS 16 months, you are correct developers like iOS more it's easier to reach more people and they make more money.

Flash sucks on mobile devices. Have you ever used a Android phone that had it, it's bad and by the end of 2011 all video on the internet will be HTML5 it's already at 75% of all video and growing fast

21. seajay96 macrumors 6502

Apple has never, NEVER, been about dominating a market. Their business model, at least since Steve Jobs returned, is to provide high quality, reliable products with a principal focus on user experience. That has extended from laptops to desktops to phones to iPods, etc. Apple has been responsible for revolutions in almost every tech market and is one of the most successful corporations in recent history. Why would they want to change?

22. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

You hit the nail on the head!

No company, including Apple can address the concerns of every single consumer. Therefore, Apple has formulated this business strategy. By doing so, some will be disappointed, but not because the product itself is faulty. User experience is at the top of Apple's agenda. Since they can't make everyone happy, they have to find the absolute middle ground while balancing innovation with simplicity.

Today, I found myself amazed at the possibilities I could utilize AirPlay, AppleTV, and all my iOS devices. The dots are starting to connect. So, I'm like most here and wait patiently as Steve and company (mostly engineers) discover the best way to handle my technological needs without headaches and stability issues an open source environment can create.

23. JD914, Dec 28, 2010

JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

The status quo is dumbed down and quite content with the current state of Apple's lack of "openness"

BTW I'm loving the new 4.2.1 text tones, "Sherwood forest" is my favorite :rolleyes:

24. daneoni, Dec 28, 2010

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

As soon as you march into 1 infinite loop and order their CEO to do so.

This ^

Also correct me if i'm wrong but isn't Camera+ available in the app store...and didn't Apple allow another web browser into the app store?

25. NewGenAdam, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010

NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

Apple has two platforms: OS X and iOS.

OS X is entirely open and will stay this way because it is the platform of productivity and creativity. These areas are not directly lucrative for Apple, they are used for the creation of content (music, film, Apps...) which can be sold. Because being unrestricted helps more intense uses, and because these uses cannot directly profit Apple there is no incentive to restrict OS X.

However, iOS is the platform of consumption. The hardware and software are the best for content and the consumer. People want to pay for and consume content on iOS so it proves very lucrative if Apple can be the gatekeeper. To retain this profitable position Apple will keep iOS locked indefinitely.

This is why the platforms will not converge. That would mean either losing the productivity of OS X or the profitability of iOS. Apple wants to promote both.