When will Apple Pre-Order be SOLD OUT?

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
When do you think Apple will sellout of Pre-Orders? I am shocked they have not sold out. Anyone else shocked? Is it possible Apple has so many it will not sell out even in stores.

Rebel Hedgehog

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2012
Northants
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It will be sold out today for pre-order. For that I'm sure

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
maybe they are trying to mislead the scalpers by appearing like they fully prepared enough stock this time around. And we will get an email within a few days updating us that they actually are delaying shipments of preorders that occurred an hour after the preorders went online..

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Will they tell us that they're "sold out" or just keep taking preorders?
I mean, technically you're still preordering it even if you don't get it on March 16.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
Usually when you have a hot product you have some limited availability even if you have plenty of stock. It allows you to extend your demand and interest in the product.

Also you limit your exposure if you have a intial defect which can hurt bad if there are recalls.

I do think this is the ipad we will have for two years. The next iPad will be a minor update but I will still buy one...lol

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Looks like Apple built up some extra stock for the initial launch this time. Judging by the load on their servers, there was still very high demand.

At least a couple of people have posted in the other thread their order is shipping on 19 March. So at least a couple of models have sold out already.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Will they tell us that they're "sold out" or just keep taking preorders?
I mean, technically you're still preordering it even if you don't get it on March 16.
No, the shipping date will start to slide later, like it already has with the AppleTV.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Gotcha.
Apparently someone in the preorder thread said that theirs isn't shipping out until March 19 so it's already begun.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The AT&T 16gb and 64gb models in white are sold out now. Only 32 gig left with AT&T in white. All other black, wifi, and Verizon's are still in stock. For now.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
It looks like the white models are staring to run low. The 4G AT&T models that is. The 16gb and 64gb slipped to march 19th

Chupa Chupa

macrumors Pentium
Jul 16, 2002
It's not all that shocking given that Apple announced a multi-country launch on the 16th. That is a first for the iPad. So clearly Apple has been cranking these out for a while to build up that much inventory. We are looking at combined 8-10m units being pre-sold this week and sold on launch day weekend. Pretty astounding.

As some have noted certain white models are "sold out" for launch-day delivery. I suspect the news of the new model is just starting to filter down to non-techs and that by the weekend preordering for all models will have ended.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
It's not all that shocking given that Apple announced a multi-country launch on the 16th. That is a first for the iPad. So clearly Apple has been cranking these out for a while to build up that much inventory. We are looking at combined 8-10m units being pre-sold this week and sold on launch day weekend. Pretty astounding.

As some have noted certain white models are "sold out" for launch-day delivery. I suspect the news of the new model is just starting to filter down to non-techs and that by the weekend preordering for all models will have ended.
Yep, you can bet that Apple knew they could sell all the could ever make and then some.

Over all I thought that this release and ordering was improved in comparison to other releases. It took me a multiple tries but I got my order to go through.

I say Apple did a good job!