When will Apple release the 'real 2008' Mac Pros???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Quinsey, May 12, 2008.

1. Quinsey macrumors newbie

Quinsey

hi Everyone,

I'm waiting patiently for the release of the 'real 2008' Mac Pro, Nehalem chips and all, to happen. Have there been any hints from Apple as to when this happy day will come?

Last I heard, we'd be lucky to see them in the Fall or possibly not until January 2009. My wonderful G5 dual 2.7 and I are doing alright but my cad and rendering programs are itching for the next computer they get to live in!

I know the 'early 2008' Pros are great machines but have heard that the next generation chips are another, and bigger, leap forward.

Any rumor info would be appreciated.

JQ

2. nyquist11 macrumors member

I would buy one

If apple was going to make a new Mac Pro I would find a reason( ugh.... the internet is faster or something) and get $$$ to buy one

The only problem is that I dont need that type of power, and I dont have that money.:mad:apple::apple:

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

MacWorld '09. The Mac Pros now are the real '08 Mac Pros. What don't you like about them? They're the fastest single computers on the planet.

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I'm waiting for the Nehalem Mac Pros, but only because my iMac is enough for me at the moment.

There is nothing wrong at all with the current Mac Pros. I use the HP equivalent at work and love it.

5. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

my 3.0 ghz 8-core, 3.5 TB, 32 gigs of RAM Mac Pro is in the mail. I'll be pissed if I find out it's a fake when it arrives :rolleyes:

6. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

This one is easy. Apple wont release them until Intel releases the chips, which wont be until much later this year, IIRC (or Q1 2009?).

7. nomadpass macrumors member

Where did you order it from?

8. JeffDM macrumors 6502a

Still, I think the insinuation about the early 2008 being fake is quite unfair. If anything, the next rev is probably going to be called 'late 2008', possibly 'early 2009', depending on when Apple decides to announce it.

It's an architectural change, putting memory controller on-die, but maybe you've been hooked by hype. I don't think there are even benchmarks available for the next platform.

9. tivoli2 macrumors regular

tivoli2

:rolleyes: I waited a year and a half before :apple: updated the MP and turns out it's made by Tupperware. I guess I should've waited for the real one. Of all the crappy luck...

On that note, I promised myself I'd wait for the really-real Mac Pro that they're rolling out in 2015 - no power cords, you just put it 'near' an outlet and you can roll it up and put 'er in your back pocket. Until then, all the rest of these so-called "Mac Pro" thingies are mere gerbil wheels.

10. Raymen macrumors member

Raymen

I really couldn't see the benifit of any great upgrade to the mac pro format, until the software can more efficiently use all those processors. As a reference doing bog standard tasks like internets, playing audio - and (at the time) transferring a 5gb folder I'm seeing 98 / 99% of unused processing power on my 2008 8 core 2.8 Mac Pro with 2gb ram. I haven't found anything to test its power out yet (although I will be running logic and reason on it).

Sure if your a professional using logic for studio work or final cut - or really heavy 3d design apps then your going to push this machine. But then even upping the ram to the max that leopard can feasibly allocate (which I think is 8gb, although I may be wrong) will see a huge performance upgrade, and if you have the cash for 4 15,000rpm apple drives with the raid card ...

Trust me, Normal users aren't really going to worrry it.

11. Play4keeps macrumors regular

DITTO (Why Wait) get a MacPro now, and sell it later if needed

12. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

online apple store,

under $15k with the education discount

13. Amethyst macrumors 6502

From this theads , I just know My Mac Pro is "2007.53989878974587 build 3.2 b07 bata 2 version" and it's not "real 2008 version".

Thank you

14. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Prepare yourself for the onslaught of responses shouting at you "why did you buy the ram and harddrives from Apple" and so forth.

I said it first :p

You don't sound like the usual student though, if you can spare $15,000.

15. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I was forced to buy it, wanted to wait for Nehalem.

No, I'm not a student, but part of my grant money is run through a University system.

Had to spend grant money before Uncle Sam took it back.

Oh well,

have another $40k I need to drop. Any ideas?

16. m1stake macrumors 68000

The server chips (Which the MP uses) will come out some time in Q4, so I'd expect the same thing that happened this year - a few days/weeks before MW09.

I'll only have to use this G4 with 56k for 7 more months!:p

17. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I think you better wait for 2011 and the successor to the Nehalem chips. :D

18. Quinsey thread starter macrumors newbie

Quinsey

Geez, sorry for the insinuation

hi All,

Thanks for the help and I'm sorry for the impression that I think the current new MacPro's are a lesser machine. The current ones have excellent specs and clock at over twice the speed of my current computer. Apple confused things this year when the released the 'early 2008' MacPro by doing two things....

One, there was none of the usual fanfare they do when they release a new machine. None at all, in fact. They didn't even put the usual little red with white type 'New' flags on them at the Store's homepage.

Two: The name. 'Early 2008' MacPro clearly implies that there will be another release this year.

So, excuse me but this was far from Apple's usual approach to releasing new computers especially their top-of-the-line machines.

Me, I'll try to wait but might chose to buy now. Either way, they are excellent machines.

Quinsey