When will Apple retire the non-Retina MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elrikas, Sep 23, 2012.

1. elrikas macrumors newbie

The reason I'm asking is since the old version is still customizable, I would like to purchase one before Apple discontinues the series. I'm using currently a 2009 15' MBP that I upgraded it with an SSD and I'm in no urgent need to buy new notebook. Any rumors out there?

2. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

when people vote with their wallet and choose the air & retina mbp instead of the regular 13 & 15 cmbp. and apple sees the number, it will be sooner rather than later.

3. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

By next WWDC I would expect it to just be the 11/13 Air... and then 13/15 rMBP

4. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

There has to be a level of affordability in their products, both in high and low end areas.

I don't know anyone who has rushed out to buy a retina display model, and I work with a great deal of professional video editors.

The 15" MBP is still the weapon of choice from what I can see.

5. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I'd wait till it's announced. Remember, you can always buy one refurbished or in the special deals section once they are announced discontinued. Best Buy and Amazon will also have stock within the week they are discontinued.

6. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

The way I see it, the only thing that the classic line has going for it is
    • Presence of optical drive
    • User-servicable RAM
    • User-Servicable hard drive
    The better customizability is sort of overstated in a lot of cases. The RAM upgrade to 16GB isn't much more expensive than buying it separately anymore, and is the max both machines will take. Additionally, the flash storage isn't likely to fail, negating the need to replace it yourself to get it fixed.

The retina display is essentially a free feature, plus the old machines look downright thick and outdated by comparison. I hated the rMBP when it came out, but I've come around.

7. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

I like the rMBP, I hate the way Apple is going with it that's why I bought a cMBP.

8. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

No way to know as Apple tends to kill a product before it's totally dead. But if I was to guess... 2 years, 3 on the outside. Once the volume of the retina is high enough and the costs are lower then you'll see it. Most likely it will happen when the 13" becomes retina only. The 15" would probably stay customizable and that would be the final year.

I finally decided to order the 15" hi res, non retina so I could swap in my 480GB SSD and pop in 16GB memory. I would love to have retina but I'd rather have retina on a high res or 17" MBP instead of the resolution they chose.

9. blkmac macrumors newbie

Coming from someone who could get a retina and opted to get the MBP I can't imagine when. The MBP is still a formidable beast. That being said it'll probably be when the cost of owning the retinas can compete with the current MBP.