When will Apple start offering FREE CASES?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by klamse25, Jul 20, 2010.

1. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

I know they said "late next week."
    Technically, what would be the deadline for that?

2. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Well, I called AppleCare that other day to get a replacement and the senior advisor said that starting the 19th they would start offering them. However, we are past that so I am not sure.

I am sure they are working out how they are going to approach the situation.

3. Krayd2k macrumors member

4. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

5. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

I presume that Apple is setting up a system that lets them know who already ordered a bumper and who didn't, so that may take some time. Who knows.

6. Rus Shackleford macrumors regular

Jobs said that the program will be launched online at the "end of this week" (the current week) at the press conference.

7. klamse25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

klamse25

Getting a little off topic, but I wonder what kind of cases they will offer.
    I won't get a bumper, because I want one with protection if I can get my hands on one.
    But will they offer name brand ones like Incipio? Or crappy ones that just let them slide?

8. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

My guess is that they will offer any case up to (or around) a $30 limit, definitely not anything more than $50. From Apple's perspective they're giving something to fix a problem, not to suit a fashion need (if you'd call it that). So I'd expect them to offer any case they carry that covers the affected area (so no screen protectors, etc.) that is less than or equal to the price of a bumper ($29).

Since they haven't said anything yet this is purely speculation.

9. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

You mean:

Saturday at 11:59PM PDT.

Sunday is the first day of the week.....

S-

10. johnnybgood15 macrumors 6502

Do you think someone on these forums has inside knowledge they have yet to share? Seriously, it will be plastered in every nook and cranny on the net. When something is offered free people really come out of the woodwork.

11. stphnman20 macrumors regular

12. JustinSaneV2 macrumors 6502

JustinSaneV2

Seriously people, learn to have some PATIENCE. It'll happen when it happens.

13. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

That depends on the calendar. Other countries have Monday at the start of the week ;)

I too am very curious about what third party cases will be offered. The wait is killing me. I want to order a new case, but I might as well wait and see what I can get for free.

14. cobaltrich27 macrumors 6502

cobaltrich27

Selling mine on ebay.

I bought 2 iphone 4's from AT&T and 2 cheap $5 rubber temporary cases from ebay to protect em till my otterbox defenders get here friday. Soon as I get the apple free cases going to sell all these extra cases on ebay to help cover costs for my defenders:D

Now I just need to know what case options we will get so I can get maximum resale on ebay.

15. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I think they'll do a deal with some unknown Chinese manufacture to crank out a generic no-name cheapie.

That's because the last time Apple handed out free cases was with the iPod Video. It was a cheap, flimsy little case included in the box. It wasn't terribly practical, but it allowed Apple to claim the customer had a means to prevent the iPod's face from scratching. It seemed more like a low-cost precaution against another messy class-action (like the 1st gen iPod nano scratches) rather than a desire to give everyone a fancy case.

And as for the bumpers on offer? Hmmm, we'll see. They've already set the expectation that supply won't meet demand.

16. NickRno77 macrumors regular

Yeh you mean the Apple Bumper case ;)

17. BABankert macrumors newbie

+1

If they offer the PixelSkin HD I will be all over it. I was all pumped to buy it when I saw a review on this site, but they sold out in ~1 day :(