iPad Pro When will Apple start selling the iPad Pro refurbished?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by off_piste, Jun 9, 2016.

1. off_piste macrumors 6502a

Seems like it's been out a long time already. The Apple TV 4 has been available refurbished for quite a while now too.

2. DontGetTheCheese macrumors member

I've seen refurbished in a number of places, Best Buy, eBay, for pretty solid discounts. I should have pulled the trigger on what Best Buy had recently but talked myself out of it.

The thing I'm seeing, however, is that it pretty routinely goes for $100 to $150 off the new price (Staples usually) and the refurbished prices, outside of eBay where you can get unlocked versions, in theory not stolen, are in the low to mid $700's.

Anyways, yeah, I'd like to see them on Apple's site too just to compare them with the market.

3. off_piste thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not the least bit interested in a Best Buy or other third party "refurbished" product. Many times the product is simply put back in its box.

4. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

So what's wrong with it "put back in its box"?

5. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

What do you think Apple does? Everyone just wipes it down and makes sure it's factory reset and not stolen. What more would you need to do?

6. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

why refurb when there are sales on NEW ones that are cheaper than refurbs?

7. off_piste thread starter macrumors 6502a

In the past I knew someone that did that work for best buy and it's literally like you said. They don't actually check for problems beyond the obvious. The guy I knew said he wouldn't trust them so I'm not going to take the chance of that headache. At least with apple if you buy Applecare it will run from the purchase date and not the original purchase date. Plus, I've never had a problem with apple refurbished products unlike others.

YMMV

8. off_piste thread starter macrumors 6502a

If that's there case then I'll go that route. I don't know what the refurbs will be listed at though.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

10. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

This makes sense if it's returns for defect, but these things are so hard to screw up that it seems like overkill. I would definitely go apple only for a refurb laptop or desktop, but for an iPad it's nice, but doesn't seem necessary.

I've enjoyed many an open box item from bestbuy and refurb from reputable ebayers with no issue at all.

11. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

You can split the difference and buy an open-box from Best Buy really cheap and then buy AppleCare for $100. That way you're covered by the warranty for an extra year and a full replacement due to accidental damage is only $50.

12. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

Like some folks were saying above, there have been a good number of occasions where stores have been discounting the iPad Pro. It may not be as much of a discount as an open box item, but you never know.

13. DontGetTheCheese, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016

DontGetTheCheese macrumors member

Right now Best Buy has refurb (128gb 12.9) at $829 vs $849 new at Staples.

<sarcasm>Yep, gonna get me two, maybe three of those.</sarcasm>

I also saw it there for $699, when it was $799 new at Best Buy. But before I bought I wanted to see the Zagg Slim Book keyboard. Took me too long and the $699 was gone by the time I was ready to pull the trigger.

But it'll come back around if I don't get impatient and just pull the trigger at $849.

14. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

If you are price conscious you can buy new ones for 649 from ebay. You have been able to do this for a while. If you are really smart you can find really good used ones for even less. The fact that new ones are on sale so often I cant imagine apple refurbs being a good deal on this product. It will probably be $679 or something when a brand new one, sealed, off ebay is $649. I dont know how they are selling these at this price point though.