Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
Seems like it's been out a long time already. The Apple TV 4 has been available refurbished for quite a while now too.

DontGetTheCheese

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2015
I've seen refurbished in a number of places, Best Buy, eBay, for pretty solid discounts. I should have pulled the trigger on what Best Buy had recently but talked myself out of it.

The thing I'm seeing, however, is that it pretty routinely goes for $100 to $150 off the new price (Staples usually) and the refurbished prices, outside of eBay where you can get unlocked versions, in theory not stolen, are in the low to mid $700's.

Anyways, yeah, I'd like to see them on Apple's site too just to compare them with the market.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
I've seen refurbished in a number of places, Best Buy, eBay, for pretty solid discounts. I should have pulled the trigger on what Best Buy had recently but talked myself out of it.

The thing I'm seeing, however, is that it pretty routinely goes for $100 to $150 off the new price (Staples usually) and the refurbished prices, outside of eBay where you can get unlocked versions, in theory not stolen, are in the low to mid $700's.

Anyways, yeah, I'd like to see them on Apple's site too just to compare them with the market.
Not the least bit interested in a Best Buy or other third party "refurbished" product. Many times the product is simply put back in its box.

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
Not the least bit interested in a Best Buy or other third party "refurbished" product. Many times the product is simply put back in its box.

What do you think Apple does? Everyone just wipes it down and makes sure it's factory reset and not stolen. What more would you need to do?

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
What do you think Apple does? Everyone just wipes it down and makes sure it's factory reset and not stolen. What more would you need to do?
In the past I knew someone that did that work for best buy and it's literally like you said. They don't actually check for problems beyond the obvious. The guy I knew said he wouldn't trust them so I'm not going to take the chance of that headache. At least with apple if you buy Applecare it will run from the purchase date and not the original purchase date. Plus, I've never had a problem with apple refurbished products unlike others.

YMMV

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product:

is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).
is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing.
is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, and so on).
includes either the Mac OS originally shipped with the unit or, in some cases, a more recent version.*
is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.
is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.
Refurbishment procedures follow the same basic technical guidelines as Apple’s Finished Goods testing procedures.
http://www.apple.com/au/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/refurbfaq_popup

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA

This makes sense if it's returns for defect, but these things are so hard to screw up that it seems like overkill. I would definitely go apple only for a refurb laptop or desktop, but for an iPad it's nice, but doesn't seem necessary.

I've enjoyed many an open box item from bestbuy and refurb from reputable ebayers with no issue at all.

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
You can split the difference and buy an open-box from Best Buy really cheap and then buy AppleCare for $100. That way you're covered by the warranty for an extra year and a full replacement due to accidental damage is only $50.

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Like some folks were saying above, there have been a good number of occasions where stores have been discounting the iPad Pro. It may not be as much of a discount as an open box item, but you never know.

DontGetTheCheese

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2015
Like some folks were saying above, there have been a good number of occasions where stores have been discounting the iPad Pro. It may not be as much of a discount as an open box item, but you never know.

Right now Best Buy has refurb (128gb 12.9) at $829 vs $849 new at Staples.

<sarcasm>Yep, gonna get me two, maybe three of those.</sarcasm>

I also saw it there for $699, when it was $799 new at Best Buy. But before I bought I wanted to see the Zagg Slim Book keyboard. Took me too long and the $699 was gone by the time I was ready to pull the trigger.

But it'll come back around if I don't get impatient and just pull the trigger at $849.

Last edited:

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
Right now Best Buy has refurb (128gb 12.9) at $829 vs $849 new at Staples.

<sarcasm>Yep, gonna get me two, maybe three of those.</sarcasm>

I also saw it there for $699, when it was $799 new at Best Buy. But before I bought I wanted to see the Zagg Slim Book keyboard. Took me too long and the $699 was gone by the time I was ready to pull the trigger.

But it'll come back around if I don't get impatient and just pull the trigger at $849.

If you are price conscious you can buy new ones for 649 from ebay. You have been able to do this for a while. If you are really smart you can find really good used ones for even less. The fact that new ones are on sale so often I cant imagine apple refurbs being a good deal on this product. It will probably be $679 or something when a brand new one, sealed, off ebay is $649. I dont know how they are selling these at this price point though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.