When will Apple stop using LG displays in the rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andymac2210, Feb 26, 2013.

1. andymac2210 macrumors regular

I'm going to sell my 15" cMBP and buy a retina version as soon as they dump the LG displays that've caused so many problems and had so many issues.

I refuse to play ping pong with Apple, returning the computer over and over again to get one without ghosting and IR (I don't live near an Apple store so it'd be a week turn around each time I mailed it + cost, no time for that BS).

Does anything think they'll wait until the next gen to get rid of the crappy LG displays they're foisting on hapless consumers, or perhaps the massive number of returns has given them the message already?

Really want a rMBP, can easily sell my cMBP with upgrades and almost cover the cost.

2. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

it seems alot because the minority of people who had problems posts them. if its working fine, u dont see forusm saying how good it works as much as problems

why bother getting rid of a 15" for another 15" lOL

3. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Your only "safe" bet is to wait a couple years for IGZO production to really take off. Apple will surely switch to that technology because of the power saving features, however it's mere speculation they'll be of better quality and won't have their own quirks.

Right now you have to risk an LG panel with ghosting or a Samsung panel with uneven color. Or pass up the rMBP.

----------

Why not? It's a lighter, thinner laptop that has a 1920x1200 display mode - you can't get that on the non-retina MBP.

4. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

its a first gen product, the intel 4000 graphics card lags when not using the dedicated, as the OP mentioned, ghosting bs, cant change the ram nor sdd, and if ur to weak to carry a 15inch macbook pro , the retina is not that much lighter

5. maxosx macrumors 68020

LG will be included in more Apple laptops & devices as Apple continues to divorce itself from Samsung.

6. Ploki macrumors 68000

Those are lies. IT doesn't matter which GFX you use, it has software lag, and Samsung displays don't have ghosting, and you CAN change the SSD... And it's not about being weak, and it's significantly lighter.

7. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Meanwhile in the real world there are thousands of rMBP owners who are very happy with their machines and use them in their daily personal and professional lives and who do not suffer from any of these perceived issues that are blown out of proportion by the Internet. Just sayin'

8. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

Agree'd.. It seems as if Apple is pushing out More LG's and keeping the samsung's on hand for when an issue arises.

again.. truth

9. Ploki macrumors 68000

True. Mine replaced an 8core Mac Pro, and i'm very happy. Runs quieter and has plenty power.

10. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

sure if you wanna pay 500 dollars more LOL

and the samsung screen does ghost to if u bother googling it

11. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

Perhaps, but ghosting with the Samsung display is much much much less frequent. It's basically a non-problem with the Samsung displays and a very big problem with the LG displays.

12. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

pay 500 more for what? they are priced super close.

base Retina for me was only 100$ more then a cMBP w hi res + aftermarket SSD.

maybe one samsung screen has IR to every 15 LG's

13. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Weight of 15" rMBP: 4.46 pounds.

Weight of 15" cMBP: 5.6 pounds.

Please explain to me how a pound is significant.

14. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

roughly 20% lighter. 20% is rather significant if you ask me

depends on how you look at it. Slimmer too.. easier to carry, simple as that.

15. PinoyAko macrumors 6502

16. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I once had a dollar. I then gained another dollar. I doubled my worth, increasing it by 100%. Cool statistics.

All kidding aside, it's only 20% lighter in comparison to the cMBP. In reality, you're likely only going to be lugging around one. So whether you're going to be carrying around an extra 4 and a half pounds or 5 and a half pounds isn't really going to matter. You'll hardly notice the difference in everyday situations. It's definitely not worth $500 (among other things).

17. bill-p, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013

bill-p macrumors 65816

Following Weber-Fechner Law, the just-noticeable difference between two weights is proportional to the weights. On average, it's about 5%. Read more here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weber–Fechner_law

So I'm sure as heck that a 20% weight difference is very noticeable to any person irregardless of arm strength, muscle size, age, or what-else...

Also using that convention, you'd have to lug around a bag that's approximately 10kg (about 23 pounds) (edit: I was wrong) 9.06kg (or 19.9lbs) in total weight in order for that 1 pound difference to be unnoticeable, or in other words "not matter".

So basically you'll have to lug around about 4 times the weight of the computer in order for the difference of 1lbs to be negligible.

18. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

Get a refurbished. Samsung display's on them, from what I have read.

19. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

This is a big assumption that you make. I can attest that the LG is a real problem.

I went to an Apple Store, picked a random 15" rMBP and did the Retina Image Retention test. It was clearly having image retention problems.

So buying a rMBP = $3000 lottery. You either get a good one but there is a serious chance you got a bad one. I have seen it with my own eyes.

20. Ploki macrumors 68000

For what, 5k4 drive and 4GB ram? and Non-updated CPU? and no hires display?

Yeah, thats 500 dollars apart. Slap in the same size SSD, decent RAM and 1GB GPU for the classic MBP and add decent display, and you'll pay more.

get your facts straight...
    Also, why would I bother googling ghosting? I took a photo of Samsungs display response.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1528797

I'm content with it... I really am.

I don't care if 5 script kiddies bitch on the forum on how bad the screen is- fact is, the screen is the most awesome screen I've seen ever, and it works flawlessly.

I've been lugging the old 1st gen 15" around for 4 years. You notice it the moment you pickup the backpack, that it is lighter. I was eyeing 13" laptops because if was getting tired of how chunky the 15" was, but quad-core.

the retina 15" feels more like the old 13" to be honest.

21. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Or you could just buy a machine, and enjoy it.

Let's look at this rationally - you're ALREADY considering returning a machine that you HAVEN'T bought yet because of which company makes the display it has. I guess you're one of those who do this "test", think there's a problem, and then return it, costing Apple money. The majority of LG displays are fine, and in fact look better than the samsungs in most cases.

I'm sorry but posts like this wind me up.

22. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Actually you can change the SSD, and maxing out the Ram to 16 gigs upon purchase solves the "Not upgradable" problem

23. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

looked into that, cant take a regular SSD, costs wayy to much to do it on a retina.

lol you fanboys defending your retina Macbooks is hilarious

24. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Move along folks, nothing to see here. Don't feed the troll.