When will Apple Stores have computers with ML?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by jason2811, Jul 8, 2012.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

I plan to buy a new MacBook Air during the first week of August. Is it likely that the MacBook Airs at the Apple Store will come pre-loaded with Mountain Lion by then? Or will they still have Lion and require me to upgrade?

I know Apple stores carry a large stock so I'm guessing some of these laptops will still have Lion on them. I know the upgrade is free from the App Store but I'd prefer if ML came pre-installed out of the box.

2. priorypcclinic macrumors newbie

When it is released they will update straight away on the shop demos.
    If you are buying one bought from online they will ship with ML.
    Otherwise app store download will be free.

3. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

usually the day after its released all macs are running the updated os.

4. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know the demo units will have ML. But what about all the notebooks that have been sitting in stock in the back?

5. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

They don't keep huge inventories and they will likely have started shipping before the announced release date.

6. pdjudd macrumors 601

I agree with the above - Weather a computer is sold with pre-installed with Mountain Lion is soley based on the number of days since the OS was installed and how fast the turn around the stores inventory is. We are talking a matter of a few days though and it’s pretty easy to replace newer stock before they are boxed up for delivery. Drives can be re-imaged a couple of days when the GM is available.

It really doesn’t make a difference, you buy it on release date, they will give you a code right there and even offer to upgrade you in store.