When will Apple unleash the next wave of Mac ads?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    It has been a year and a half since Apple has released any ads for their prominent Mac product... Since the release day of Windows 7 to be exact. Everything since then has been iPhone and iPad to the MAX!!

Has Apple given up on their Mac platform or are they waiting to strike with a new ad stragedy? (My guess is on the latter) Obviously SL didn't add much besides speed and refinement, not a whole lot of stuff to say in commercials...

So I think that with the release of Lion, Apple will lead a huge "Back to the Mac" campaign. What will the focus be you ask? Glad you asked. I'm guessing Lion will add tons of features that go hand in hand with iOS. Instant, wireless sync of all data (courtesy of new free MobileMe) and heaps of new refinements that mirror iOS 5, which I think will take it's design cues from Lion, with Mission Control etc. The iPhone/iPad has already given the Mac a halo effect, but this is Apples chance to truly capitalize on it. All the PC users with an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch are going to want to make the switch.

If Apple is smart (and I know they are) this is going to happen and I bet the Mac marketshare will double in a year.

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

It seems like you answered your own question.

3. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

haha true. but what do you think?

4. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I loved those old adds. They were the only commercials that I actually enjoyed watching. Over time they took hold and I switched to Mac instead of upgrading to my old PC to Windows 7. Then the adds stopped. Also, no one is really complaining about Windows 7 so comparisons became difficult. I do wish they would get some new stuff because it is hard to justify a laptop that costs 3x more to many 'now happy' PC users.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I think the suggestion for Apple you proposed will happen, given Apple's success with iOS and the Back To The Mac effort for Lion. It only seems logical.

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

With Mac sales growing at a large rate, Apple doesn't need to spend money on advertising. The "halo effect" of iThing sales is enough advertising.

7. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

haha I know what you mean. I also think Apple stopped because of the huge "I'm a PC" campaign that microsoft was pushing. Apple didn't want to keep that connotation anymore, then of course there wasn't too much to mock about win7.

It's kind of sad that we need to have advertisements to feel good about what we own, instead of just being satisfied. But it did feel "cool" to have a mac back when there were all those ads ;)

8. Mad Mac Maniac, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011

Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

growing sure. But the Mac has been growing for the last decade.

I think Apple needs to expand the mac beyond Apple Stores. Use the same stragedy they did with iPads, and iPods. Put them EVERYWHERE. When Macs are put right next to PCs in all computer stores people will be much more likely to purchase. of course I know there is a much steeper learning curve coming from windows to Mac, but I think maybe Lion will be much easier to switch for people used to iOS devices.

Edit: to prove a point. compare last quarters sales figures

total Mac Sales/years on the market: 4.13 Million/27 years
    total iPad Sales/years on the market: 7.3 Million/0.5 years

This is the result when Apple diversifies sales channels

9. WallpaperPerson macrumors member

WallpaperPerson

No one can really know when Apple is going to do this. They might soon but they have been focusing on the iPad, iPhone and iPod lately.