When will Apple update the Mac Pro or all of there desktops???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Modacke, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Modacke macrumors member

Modacke

I really was looking forward to Apple updating all of there desktops today. It didn't happen, so Im guessing apple will wait until Intel makes new hardware for Apple but when????? I know its the first quarter, but give me a time frame

2. indiochano macrumors regular

could be from february till late march

3. Modacke thread starter macrumors member

Modacke

Dang, I really was hoping for an update soon. Phil ruined Macworld

4. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

In case you missed the keynote........ NOBODY KNOWS

Yeah, that Phil guy really knows how to spoil a big event like Macworld. :rolleyes:

5. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

Just buy one now if you need it, I have yet to be able to stress my 8 core MP. The only thing is I wish the ATI 4870 was available for it.

6. Modacke thread starter macrumors member

Modacke

Well I have waited over 1/2 a year for the new Mac Pro, so I guess I can wait a little longer

7. Modacke thread starter macrumors member

Modacke

Thank you for agreeing with me.....:D

8. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

A Gainestown Mac Pro would be a nice replacement for my old Rev. A single cpu G5. I'd like to be able to watch movies without having to plug everything into my laptop.

9. m1stake macrumors 68000

$3,000 machine to watch movies with.

Wait, what?

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Misuse of product line fail. :D Dude, just get a base-model 24" (for future 1080p iTunes movies) iMac when they're updated.

11. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

12. Modacke thread starter macrumors member

Modacke

hahaha.........I wish but its way to soon

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why? There are no hardware reasons preventing the new Mac Mini and iMac from showing up next Tuesday.

The Mac Pro can't happen, but there is nothing stopping the others.

Of course, it won't; I'm just saying.

14. G4DP macrumors 65816

Never. Apple are never going to update the Mac Pro. The way of the future is in the cloud through the iPhone.

Ask a dumb question get a dumb answer.

Reality, read Tallest Skill's posts.

Apple will update the Mac Pro 518 days after the last update - WWDC09.

At least we have an idea of the prices now. The new MacBook Pro is £1949, so the New Mac Pro will be at least this. Somehow I don't think Apple have grasped the concept of the economic problems.

15. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

Wow. Apparently I've been here too long, because that joke has come and gone.

It used to be a really common joke here whenever someone asked when something will be released (like we would know), it was always next tuesday.

This was especially true of g5 powerbooks, which I just heard from Steve himself, are coming out... next tuesday.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Standard Mac Pro configuration should be just about $3,000. Prices are going to go up, not down.

17. G4DP macrumors 65816

Tallest, that's what I mean, anyone hoping for a price drop is going to be extremely disappointed.

18. djellison macrumors 68020

Do Apple users put their hands over the eyes and ears when it comes to hardware roadmaps?

Nehalem (i.e. Core i7) chips are out for desktops. However, Xeon parts (which go into the Mac Pro) are expected in Q1 '09 (which means availability in April, basically)

There was never, ever, going to be a change to the Mac Pro line at Macworld.

Doug

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah... there was. Gainestown was originally slotted for November production, so you'll see older posts of mine saying "Mac Pro the Tuesday before MacWorld 2009."

They pushed it back.

20. deloin macrumors newbie

deloin

Realy want to buy me a new MacPro.
    Actualy i want to buy one of of the models that are available right now but i would like to c the price drop when the new one's arrive ;-)
    I had the same "luck" when my powerbook died on me.
    It died the day they announced the new macbook pro's (=the current models) so the existing ones dropped in price. The best 15" dropped with 600€, so i bought it.
    Now i hoped the same thing would have happen on tuesday but it didn't...but hey, who knows...it still can,right?!
    Anybody any thoughts/suggestions/tips on this?

I saw this on the net :
    http://www.rhythmac.com/history/macpro

21. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Personally... I don't want Apple to introduce new updates to the MacPro!! AND there's a perfectly good reason for it... with the introductions of newer systems, the value of the old one tends to drop like a lead balloon. For the mass majority of Mac users, they don't need billions of calculations per second mainly cause they don't actually optimise 100% of their system's ability anyway. AND users who say, "I can wait" usually don't need the processing power!! It's more want than necessity.

AND your asking Mac users about when new products will be releases. Now being a noob, you're excused :D In general we don't know anything as to when Apple decided to release updates, though there are lots of speculation, nearly all of them produced by mindless dreamers who ain't intouch with corporate heads, or sleeping with Steve's wife over at Apple, California.

22. nanofrog macrumors G4

You're evil. :D

Besides, she may not know. Steve might not tell her, just to keep something like that from happening. :eek: :p

23. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I predict the desktops will update in about 10 seconds...

Aw damn.
    It was as accurate and reasonable prediction as any others made here.

Apple used to be fairly predictable with these things, but since iPhone came along they have (as Jobs said) put the computers to the side while working on the iPhone. It could still be another year before they get back to serious improvements on their computers.

But, really, people. Let's get honest: desktop computer technology is in a slightly grey area at the moment in terms of improvements. The iMac is about as good as it is going to get in terms of design (a screen). The tower is an excellent design which will last for a few more years to come unless something surprising pops onto the scene, they can always tinker with the mini. There are experimental devices like tablets and touch screens but Apple doesn't feel confident to break open a new market for SOME reason. While we wait for those things to work out we can only get slight bumps in processor speeds and hopefully cheaper SSD technology replacing the crummy mech drives in the next two years.

It makes sense for Apple to concentrate on what makes them money at this time--information technology that utilizes downloads by the billions through Apple websites. Desktop computing probably looks like kiddie toys to Apple earnings reports compared with what iPhone/Pods provide.

That depends on possible deflation, which is not off the table yet considering what Washington is tinkering with as a "solution" to our "devastated" economy.

24. hexonxonx macrumors 601

That's what I bought mine for. I already had a four month old iMac but I didn't want to have to plug in four hard drives to give me the same storage space that I can get with a Mac Pro and not have all these hard drives all over. I have almost three drives full of music and videos now and I bought it in June.

Does it really matter to you what someone spends their own money on? I don't regret my decision. I'm sure there are more people to have done the same thing as well.

25. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817198028

Heck of a lot less than a Mac Pro and you don't have drives strewn everywhere. Problem solved.