When will Apple update the Mighty Mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by goldenlotus, Oct 31, 2007.

1. goldenlotus macrumors regular

With the new keyboards out the mice seem a bit outdated. The scrollball on my wired MM quit working and I need a replacement. I really need 360 scrolling though so I have to buy another MM even though it will eventually breakdown like the one I have now. Apple must be aware of the issues with the scrollball so I have a feeling there's something new on the horizon.

Any thoughts?

2. 119576 Guest

I was under the impression that they got a refresh with the release of the new iMacs. maybe I'm wrong though.

3. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

What's different about them?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, it still looks like this:

[​IMG]

The white plastic and the aluminum are clearly meant to co-exist (albeit not quite as peacefully as the various visual themes in OS X up through Tiger). But at the same time, it seems that Apple is basically done with the white. It'd be interesting to see what they do with the next mighty mouse -- whether they update it right away or not, they will probably eventually do a new look. Maybe they can incorporate 3D airmouse kinds of functions into it in a creative way, while they're at it. There have been some patents for other things also, like more sophisticated touch sensitive panels on mousetops.

5. goldenlotus thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think they are completly done with the white plastic. If you look at the back of the new keyboards, there is still white plastic with the apple logo.

While I think a new aluminum mouse would be cool, I'd be content if they would just update the current mouse with higher quality scrollballs.

6. Lh'owon macrumors newbie

I'd also like to see a new Apple mouse, but I'm currently using the Razer Pro 1.6 and I don't see Apple topping that in performance.

The only thing the Mighty Mouse has that the Razer doesn't is sideways (360 actually) scrolling... which is significant, but frankly it isn't nearly perfected on the MM.

7. goldenlotus thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone know of other mice that offer 360 scrolling?

8. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Had a mighty mouse. Drove me nuts. I'm too accustomed to the touchpad. Looking forward to these mystery touchpad (rumored) upgrades on the new MacBooks!

9. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    The only way I'd buy a mouse from Apple would be if:
    1. It was a laser, and not an "optical", mouse.
    2. It had two physical buttons. No more of this "hidden sensor" crap.
    3. It had a scroll wheel with side scroll. To hell with a ball. This is a MOUSE, not a trackball.
    4. It could travel in time.
    5. It had a more ergonomically-satisfying case.
    6. It carried a translucent aqua blue Apple logo embossed in it's surface.
    7. It was built by Logitech and OEM'd to Apple.
    8. The right mouse button acted like a right-fracking-mouse-button BY DEFAULT!
    9. It was larger on the inside than it was on the outside.
    10. It's color scheme was brushed metal (perhaps a clear plastic covering over top a brushed, anodized aluminum inner shell.
    11. It had no side buttons whatsoever.
    12. It didn't try to invoke Dashboard or any other stupid thing because you held the mouse wrong.

So there!

10. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Who would want a brushed metal with aqua blue apple mouse? That is hideous like Panther.

11. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

White sides instead of grey I think...

12. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    *points to self*

13. goldenlotus thread starter macrumors regular

I actually like that it's a mouse/scrollball hybrid. I agree with the no side buttons though. I had to disable the side buttons on mine, I could not stop hitting them by accident, extremly frustrating.

14. machatch macrumors regular

machatch

great.the apple mouse sucks compare to logitech..:):D

15. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I think the side buttons require too much pressure. I can't imagine accidentally hitting them.

I would like a more ergonomic MM.

16. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

love the mighty mouse for everything. I use it exclusively. I do agree about the side buttons. The amount of pressure they require means that I don't use them.

17. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

My mouse started to go crazy the other day. I cleaned it, and well see hwat happens from there. If it doesnt get fixed ill just call apple. I have no intention to buy a new mouse as i just bouth this comp in september :rolleyes:

18. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I don't like the Mighty Mouse. That's why I sold it and bought the Logitech Revolution VX.

Of course I will, like a sucker, buy the next mouse revision from Apple in hopes that they'd finally get it right.

19. goldenlotus thread starter macrumors regular

Really? Every MM I've used has really sensitive side buttons.

20. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I have to squeeze the crap out of mine to get the side buttons to work. I figure d this was to prevent accidental clicking of them?

21. goldenlotus thread starter macrumors regular

When did you buy yours? I got mine September 06.

22. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I got my iMac last Wednesday (8 days ago), Bluetooth KB and MM.

23. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

I reckon sooner-or-later they will remove the scroll-ball and just just touch technology - so the surface is completely smooth but you can still scroll around.

24. Pants Dragon macrumors regular

I really like the Mighty Mouse how it is. I never push the side buttons accidentally, and I use them to use exposé to view my desktop, which I can't imagine living without. (Or using the keyboard for it)

The ball is good too. I prefer it to a simple wheel. The only thing I don't like it how it sometimes gets dirty and stops working. However, it's a minor complaint.

25. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Got rid of mine as well- hated it. Originally had a bluetooth one, sold it when I sold my Mac Mini. Then I got a regular mighty mouse with my iMac, I keep that one in a drawer as a backup mouse.

I used to use a wireless Logitech MX mouse (the first wireless MX one they sold) and I loved the thing, such a great mouse. I also picked up an MX 510 I I think) for my notebook. The wireless one died on me after a few years and I have yet to replace it.

I honestly LOVE the Logitech mice- they are so comfortable. Works great with OS X as well- I have one side button for Expose, one for Spaces, and one for Dashboard.

Now, if they would only make a white MX mouse that matched my iMac perfectly... :)