When will Apple update the thunderbolt display with USB 3.0?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by georgelangridge, Aug 8, 2012.

1. georgelangridge macrumors newbie

georgelangridge

I've got the new (not retina) macbook pro and it has USB 3.0, I really want to get a nice monitor to hook it up at home. However, there's no point until apple put USB 3.0 into their thunderbolt displays...
    When will this happen?
    Are there any other alternatives?

Feel free to post an image of your mac setup :)

:apple:
    2012 (not retina) Macbook Pro 15" i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD 7200RPM Anti-Glare Screen
    :eek:
    HP G61
    An old Sony Vaio

2. simsaladimbamba

Probably when the 2012 iMac is released.

And for setup pictures, go here.

3. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

I don't expect to see a new TBD until all devices have moved to Magsafe2.

4. MCV macrumors newbie

Excellent thought. Makes total sense to me too.

5. madsci954 macrumors 68030

If we don't hear anything by Halloween time, I'd say not until next year at least.

6. chaseychasem macrumors regular

7. benpatient macrumors 68000

incorrect speculation, too!

unfortunately i can't wait anymore and i'm going to have to pull the trigger on last year's model.

at least I will have a USB 3 port on my laptop. Seems silly for them to not update it. I guess they are going to save a dollar or two of their profit margin...

8. WesCole macrumors 6502a

You will still have Thunderbolt...hopefully, someone will make cheap Thunderbolt->USB3 adapters soon, so we can use our USB3 devices over Thunderbolt.

9. gowanis macrumors 6502

I couldn't wait any longer and I bought the current model about 2 weeks ago. I've been using my mouse and keyboard in 2 of the 3 USB 2.0 ports, since they don't need USB 3.0. I connect external drives to my Retina MacBook Pro to make use of the high speed ports.

I'd like to get some thunderbolt external drives, but they are too expensive ! (plus I've blown like 5 grand on Apple products in the last month)

10. nottooshabby macrumors 6502

Any issues with the display waking up after the macbook comes out of sleep? There were quite a few reviews on apple's store about people having to restart to get their display to wake up again.

11. gowanis macrumors 6502

I have not had a single problem since I got it 2 weeks ago. I have a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical and DAS Keyboard for Mac hooked to the USB ports, and I'm using the ethernet port for my MacBook. Wakes up fine every time with no issues (and also no issues with mouse or keyboard)

My only problem has been adjusting to the way Mac renders fonts vs. Windows. I was initially disappointed with the display - the fonts looked a bit jagged and fuzzy. Part of the problem is that you get really spoiled with the Retina display on the MacBook, and no display, even at 2560x1440, comes close to the level of text clarity.

Otherwise, the display is beautiful and bright, and images are stunning.

12. kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

I have late 2011 MBP and ATD. Logitech MX518 mouse connected to ATD and Bluetooth Apple keyboard. Occasionally what happens is, that MBP dont want to wake up via mouse. Weird thing is that, once I connect mouse directly to MBP and keep it like for a month, I never experience the issue within the month. So basically I've solved this just by getting Bluetooth keyboard, which always works for waking up the MBP. :)

T.

13. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

If you dislike the smoothened fonts you can go to system preferences, then general, and disable font smoothing.