When will AT&T accelerate upgrades similar to Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by b1scu1t, Sep 16, 2014.

1. b1scu1t macrumors regular

One of my lines is eligibile for an upgrade on 10/12/2014, and with the backlogs not too far off. I just read that Verizon has accelerated upgrades which are in the next 2 months to current.

Any thoughts on when AT&T will get around to doing the same? Oh well on to waiting..

2. zamudiovsky macrumors regular

My brother wasn't elegible until mid November for his iPhone, a simple phone call to 611 and he was able to upgrade to iPhone 6 on pre-order day.

3. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

2 months? Can you go ahead and link to the source of that information?

4. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

You may need to clarify the details. I'm on a family plan and have a 2-year-committed phone/line that is not eligible for upgrade till December, but AT&T says that I can upgrade it now if I do it via the Next plan. For my other 2 phones/lines, I can upgrade those now even if I go with new 2-year-commitments.

So was your brother's phone on a 2-year-commitment and are they allowing him to upgrade now ahead of time and get the new phone using a new 2-year-commitment? That's the big question.

5. b1scu1t thread starter macrumors regular

The system keeps telling me I am eligible for an upgrade right now with the AT&T Next plan which I am not interested in. I am on the subsidized upgrade plan. I will give them a ring on friday and see whether I can get bumped up.

The verizon news is found here:

http://bgr.com/2014/09/15/verizon-iphone-6-upgrade/

6. zamudiovsky macrumors regular

We were on a 2 year commitment and the upgrade eligibility was bumped for a 2 year commitment again, and at the time of pre-order the website he was eligible, but we decided to go with Next at the end because it would be stupid to pay $199 plus get rid of the discount and pay $25 more a month for 2 years when on Next you $27.09 for 24 months and that is it, no down payment.

We are on a family shared plan as well.

----------

Have you thought about it and done the numbers? If you sign a new 2 year commitment the $25 discount you might have (if you don't have it, ignore this post haha) is going to disappear and your bill will increase by $25 a month, plus a down payment of $199 on your phone. With Next you don't sign a 2 year commitment and no down payment.

7. b1scu1t thread starter macrumors regular

@zamudiovsky

I am on the unlimited plan(not that I use much data), and my wife is on the 300 MB plan and my grand mother is on a dumb phone. We have no texting in our plan and I like where my bill is at.

In my case specifically the AT&T Next does nothing other than just hike up my bill. It is better for folks who are on the Family Share plan though.

Worst case, I will wait another month to order.

8. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

I believe you're mixing up plans. The Family plan is an older plan that is no longer offered but people who have it (like me) can stay on it. You might have been on it before, but it sounds like you switched at some point to the new Mobile share plan. Under the older Family plan, I can upgrade my phone (once I've passed my previous 2-year commitment) with a new 2-year commitment, and my monthly bill will not change at all.

If you have a paid-for phone (including a situation where you met your 2-year commitment) you might decide to switch to the new Mobile share plan because there is some monthly cost savings to be had there, but if you do, then it will no longer ever make sense to buy a new phone using a new 2-year commitment because, as you said, your Mobile share plan will go up by $25/month during that 2-year period. So, once you're on a new Mobile share plan, you either want to stick with the phone you've already got, or upgrade using Next.

But, again, if you're still with an older plan, the 2-year commit method can make sense when upgrading, and the total cost of ownership can end up being cheaper using the older Family plan with phones on a 2-year commitment plan vs being on a new Mobile share plan with phones purchased via Next.