When will ATT start 'shutting down' non IPhone accounts using an IPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acrafton, Sep 29, 2007.

1. acrafton macrumors 6502

Ok, so we know that ATT/Apple are serious about using the IPhone with ATT and an IPhone account (new, 2 years. .forever). We also know that many people have unlocked and some of them are using an old, existing account with their IPhones on ATT (perhaps they had a more attractive plan or didn't want to sign up for two years). So, there has to be a way that ATT can detect the device you are using on their networks (T-Mobile can) and say they decided to look for IPhone usage on non-IPhone accounts. . .and then shut them down (including business accounts) for not following the implied agreement.. .?

I think this could happen very soon. I also think that Apple/ATT will have some sort of 'amnesty' for this and unlocked IPhones to enable you to get on the straight and narrow.

2. aerospace macrumors 6502a

I would imagine its not a big deal for them so they wont.

Option 1 they piss off thier subcriber who may have been with for years, they leaves and lose the account.
    Option 2 they get $10 extra if that person upgrades to an iphone account.

Risk vs reward doesnt seem to great. Plus at&t doesn't have to give apple a cut of accounts not on the iphone plan, they may actually be more profitable.