when will basic cable be broadcast in HDTV?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sir42, Jan 13, 2008.

1. sir42 macrumors 6502

Since buying my HDTV in the fall of 2006, I've had a hard time watching programming that's not in HD. When will channels like CNN, Comedy Central and Bravo start broadcasting in HD? It seems like HD is far more accessible now than it was just two years ago. Is the holdup coming from the cable operators?

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Not until mass adoption. Most channels are in HD just the providers are not showing it We get around 30 HD channels here. CNNHD is one of them.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The majority of people still don't have HDTVs, once the majority of people have them there will be much more HD programming.

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, but basically the cable companies can do what they want. so your basic cable will be in HD whenever they feel like it, which, will most likely be when more people have HDTVs like others have said

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The basic cable TV model will slowly go away with digital taking over. HD content wont ever be considered basic but Digital TV will.

6. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

A lot of it depends on how quickly cable can increase their overall bandwidth. As the bandwidth gets bigger, more HD channels will emerge.

7. mac-er macrumors 65816

Your problem is the cable operators.
    Many of the channels are now in HD like CNN, Food Network, Animal Planet, History Channel, MTV, most of the Discovery networks, TBS, etc, etc. I get about 85 channels in HD

You need to get satellite.

Nothing like CNN in HD.

8. silbeej macrumors 6502a

This is why i don't pay for anything. I get about three channels, more if i didn't live in a valley of sorts, and they are all in HD. Thank god for OTA. No complaints from me.

9. mac-er macrumors 65816

You won't be able to get anything next year unless you buy a converter box.

10. silbeej macrumors 6502a

Damn, i looked at that direct tv stuff, and i am beginning to not hate dish. for about the same price a month, you get hd and 200+ channels. Thats a sick set up. Don't worry about a dvr, just get yourself a media pc, and hook it all up for the ultimate system.

11. silbeej macrumors 6502a

NO, it's not normal over the air, its the HD stuff, so it's digital to begin with. No box needed, but i did know about the change.

I'm just waiting for FIOS to my area. It is mad cheap and will blow everything out of the water.