When will be a superdriveless macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by knucles, Jan 22, 2010.

1. knucles macrumors regular

So the other day i've seen a unibody macbook disassembly and i was amazed, the computer itself it's 1/4 of the entire laptop (without the monitor of course), in fact the piece that i use the least (superdrive) was almost half of the space long.

This could be mean more battery - can you imagine a 14 hour long battery? or simple a thinner lighter cheaper notebook.

I'm an architect so i was stunned by the waste of some much (needed) space.
    So the question is simple- Do you that it's going to happen any time soon?

Assuming that is inevitable...

2. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

It already exists - it's called a MacBook Air.

3. Paul B macrumors 6502

Apple is always one step ahead.

4. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

uh, the MacBook Air isn't cheap at all. It's the antithesis of cheap.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

So? That's not the question here.

6. knucles thread starter macrumors regular

really?

really? there's a macbook air? wow...

yeah, i know. The macbook air has a 14 hour long battery and it's cheaper. like 0,6x cheaper.....

forget the lighteness and thiness and cheapness. one day or another macbook is going to lose the superdrive, and maybe keep the same design with more juice.

i was trying to talk about that.....what is apple doing with so much more space?

7. copykris Suspended

copykris

*you* don't use the superdrive so apple needs to make macbooks without one?

right

8. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

The day that optical discs die cant come soon enough. Many people are already at the point where it is superfluous technology, unfortunately the mass market is not there yet. If you want to make more productive use of that space you can remove the ODD and install a second hard drive in its place.

9. knucles thread starter macrumors regular

i am just saying that it doesn't worth 40% of the space....

and if want to do a poll asking people if they would prefer superdrive or 6 more hours of battery in the next macbook revision i am pretty sure about the results.....

Do you conceive a macbook with blu-ray following the path of optical drives? i don't....

with 64gb pen drives now available optical drives(specially in this size) got to have their day counted at least in the laptop business where everyday you see new 10+ battery laptops

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Problem is that the market for people who need a MacBook-size computer and a 14 hour battery if quite small because in most places you can plug in these days; if you need a battery, 4-5 hours is enough for most people.

Finally if you really need an external battery consider a refurbished MacBook Air and an external battery.

11. cube macrumors G5

Yes, that's the MBA, also known as Apple's netbook.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No it's not a netbook. A netbook is cheap and low powered; the MacBook Air is neither. It's an ultraportable in line with existing computer like a Thinkpad X200.

13. cube macrumors G5

A netbook is a crippled laptop. That's what the MBA is.

14. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

IMO, the fact that it has a Core2Duo instead of an Atom chip means it's not "crippled" like a netbook.

15. cube macrumors G5

It doesn't have an optical drive, it doesn't have FireWire, it doesn't have gigabit ethernet, it has a bad USB port. It is crippled.

16. dbwie macrumors 6502

It has a displayport connector that can drive an Apple Cinema Display, it can run a full, not watered down, version of OS X Snow Leopard, the USB port is a USB 2.0 port, which can be plugged into a USB hub (how is it bad?), ethernet and optical drive can be had via attached dongles. It also has a built-in iSight for videoconferencing. It only lacks firewire. Big whoop. Not crippled, IMO.

17. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Dang, I'm way too slow today...

And I was even gonna say that I already had one - its called the old white Macbook with the COMBO drive. (Hey you did say "superdriveless" right?)

18. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

cube, less people use optical drives than one might think. The Unibody Macbook didn't have Firewire, yet nobody ever considered it a low-powered laptop. It has a powerful wireless card, which is much more popular than an ethernet port. And I just don't understand how the USB can be a 'bad' USB port. It's still USB 2.0, it works just as well as all the other Macs being sold with USB 2.0. You don't like the Macbook Air, we get that - seriously - but for others it is extremely useful for it's portability, even if it is a bit slower yet more expensive than the other Macbooks.

19. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

When hard drives/flash drives are cheap enough to replace an OS X install disk (like buying a "10.7 install kit" which comes with a bootable flash drive)

Good luck with ripping/backing that up (like I do with all my disks). It'll have encryption up the yams and sell for a premium.

Common folk (non haxor) still need another computer to reinstall OS X on an MBA, and most aren't savvy enough to make a disk image on an external drive.

20. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I'll use an external SuperDrive for that.

21. xizar macrumors regular

Is it so uncommon for people to want to watch DVDs on their laptop?

The main shortcoming of my iPhone as a supplement to using the computers at the library is that I can't watch movies on it on the spur of the moment.

The main reason why I "need" a laptop is so I can rent or borrow movies and have somewhere to watch them.

Yes, I'm aware of TVs, but those are distinctly less easily stuffed into my backpack or car.

22. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

So, many people are at that point but more are not?

I don't see that as more productive. My HD is not nearly full; I have no use for a second drive (and I've used laptops for many years and have never felt the need for RAID in one). Even if I only use my optical drive once in a while that's still more often than I would use a second HD.

23. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I hope you're not implying there shouldn't be an option of a MacBook (Pro) without an optical drive. I'm hoping for something like the Mac mini Server, a MacBook Pro with a second hard drive, a bigger battery, and/or faster components in the place of the optical drive.

Let me put it this way… the optical drive is the only part with any significant size in my MacBook Pro that I use rarely.

And I'll put it another way… certain parts of my MBP are "maxed out" frequently (or will be sometime soon) and could have been "higher performing" without the optical drive.

Probably not but at least for me I would be fine with taking an external optical drive for these situations. I would have to take the disc with me anyway.

24. knucles thread starter macrumors regular

i would buy that.

So from those of you who believe in the optical drive death, any predictions about the timing?

ps. how can i wide this talk to the macbook pro forum without duplicating the thread?

25. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

You cannot.