When will be the next Haswell refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LEOMODE, Dec 23, 2013.

1. LEOMODE macrumors regular

So I thought to myself to pass this Haswell model in Late 2013 MacBook Pro retina 15" model.

According to the cycle it may seem that Haswell refresh/minor upgrade should come along in either Feb 2014 or June 2014 with a minor CPU boost.

In the next upgrade, that's if Haswell will have a minor upgrade before Broadwell, would we see a new dGPU also? Or new dGPU will come along with Broadwell?

The reason for passing this Haswell is I have a feeling should there be a minor upgrade, the CPU will be the highest clock available for Haswell (e.g 2.8 w turbo boost for Early 2013 in ivy bridge)

2. Jerz macrumors member

Probably not before June 2014.

3. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Well, if you look at the recent past you will notice Apple updates their MacBook Pro lineup twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall. If recent history holds true then you will likely see a slight processor speed bump in the spring, but no other real major upgrades (including dGPU). I'm pretty sure Broadwell won't make it till at least next fall at the earliest.

4. LEOMODE thread starter macrumors regular

I was digging up Intel homepage and it looked like according to the previous data we might see a 2.8~3.0 with 8mb cache. I'm so waiting for 8mb cache as it will perfect my satisfaction of having the fastest processor in the current generation. (Oddly i7 4th gen already produced a 8mb cache model with 2.8 before 2.6 model that apple sells currently, but benchmark showed it is slower than the 2.6) i'm talking about 15 inch model.

5. Jerz macrumors member

Yeah, the minor speedbump isn't really worth it to most users unless you're a professional media editor. If you already have a rMBP regardless whether it is 2012 or 2013 edition, you will be disappointed if you upgraded in the spring when the Broadwell version of the rMBP comes out.

You will only have the fastest processor and be contempt for about 3-4 months and then be disappointed when Broadwell comes out again. Rumored +50% graphics performance and even better power management and a faster CPU.

6. LEOMODE thread starter macrumors regular

Amen to Broadwell then! My patience extends to another 6months ~ 1 year... (I have Late 2008 MacBook Pro lol)

7. Jerz macrumors member

Your patience is respectful. You know, if you really cant wait and are willing to spend some extra dollars you could always get the 2014 spring refresh (if there is one) then trade it in after Broadwell comes out to get a subsidy from Apple. I think you could get up to about 70% of your original purchase price back depending on the condition of the laptop. I did this before with my macbook air.

You could even buy the late 2013 version, because I mean a 2008 is pretty old and if your work depends on it, it's pretty risky to wait another 10 months.

8. LEOMODE thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah the reson why I was keep waiting was because if i get a next macbook it would be a retina model.

But it seemed like igpu hd4000 was kind of lacking a retina display and after seeing a new haswell model i thought i was ready.

But now i see a new broadwell roadmap which should be a much drastic change like from dual core to quad core!

I cant do your suggestion in exchanging stuff because i am in korea at the moment and they dont have official apple store in korea yet. (Ouch)

9. Jerz macrumors member

You won't need to visit a physical Apple store.

you will only need to apply for it online, then ship it back to Apple. After about a week or two, they will send you an email about the value they offer, and if you accept then they will mail you the gift card.